How to tell if cat has runny stool with clumping litter.

ghiblithecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A very Ironic long story short......

My childhood cat died yesterday from cancer at my parents' house. I was really torn up over it..... My boyfriend (bless his soul) got me a card and bouquet of flowers to express his sympathy....... and the flowers were lilies. 

For those of you don't know, lilies are so toxic to cats that literally one bite of a petal or leaf can send them into kidney failure which can be very fatal. 

Let me say: it is very unlikely that my cat got anywhere near this plant. However, I found a wilted petal on the floor and remember him chewing something on the floor. It could have been a petal, it could have been a crumb. BUT to be safe I immediately got rid of the flowers (two hours after he brought them home) and took Ghibli to the emergency vet at 2am last night.. They did blood work and it seemed fine but they said it may be too early to tell and to bring him back if he showed ANY symptoms (they gave me a list). One of the symptoms is runny stools. 

Poor guy. Trying to make things better and almost poisoned my cat to do so 

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats have always decided to let the runny stool sit on top when it's runny, so never had that problem.

I would look to see if he is drinking a lot and peeing a lot. If you see massive pee-patties that could be a problem. I know if you're anything like me you'll probably be taking him in for follow-up blood work anyway, but that is something to look for. Also lack of appetite, finicky, grumpy...

Also, so sorry about your childhood cat.

Last edited:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So sorry to hear about your childhood kitty. :(

As for finding the runny poop in the litter box is pretty easy.  It doesn't look like tootsie rolls.  It looks more like a cow patty. or like a blob.  It's also not formed like a pee puddle.

ruthm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for the loss of your other kitty :-( 

My vet has said it shows like Acute Kidney Failure: Cats with acute renal failure typically have vomiting, depression, partial or complete loss of appetite and dehydration.  Sending all the positive vibes that your kitty did not ingest any of it- good job watching him and  getting him to the vet quickly!

pompy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's usually just a blob of poop resembling a cow patty rather than regular, solid stools (exactly as Stephanietx said). If he has it, you'll be able to tell, no worries...or at least, smell the difference.

:alright: Sorry for your loss as well.

Last edited: