How to tell if a cat has living kittens by nipples.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My neighbor told me about a cat that had given birth the week before Christmas. She was feeding it. It was very cold the next two days. Probably too cold for the kittens to survive. Then my neighbor felt her nipples and they were all very full of milk. She called it engorged, but I don't know if that is the correct term. But like there were no kittens nursing and she said she thought the kittens were dead. My neighbor moved away, so I am feeding the cat now. The cat goes into a vacant building I do not have access to. I was hoping she might be wrong about the kittens being dead. The kitty is very tame, so I keep feeling her nipples to see if her milk is drying up. They are getting smaller, the two back ones are still big. They are dry. If she had kittens nursing, would they be wet? I know the cat needs to be fixed, so no lectures please. I have just been worried about the kittens or if she is right about the kittens being dead.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kittens may be in the building. You should continue feeding her and wait to see if she brings the kittens out in a few weeks. That’s the only way to really know since you can’t get into the building. It does sound like she is still nursing though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The kittens may be in the building. You should continue feeding her and wait to see if she brings the kittens out in a few weeks. That’s the only way to really know since you can’t get into the building. It does sound like she is still nursing though.
Thank you so much. I didn't know if I was being unrealistic holding out hope for the babies.

Nayloni

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Once a long time ago when I was just a kid I was feeding a calico that showed up at our house and it was winter, in Northeast Florida though, back then it'd get rather cold unlike now, anyway this calico kept going under our house and she too had engorged nipples, correct term btw, but being a 12 yr old I didn't notice it then due to her long hair however when the 2 kittens were approximately 6 to 8 weeks old the calico brought them out from under our house and only took them back when she was ready to either feed them or put them down for bedtime. I began to leave soft food for the kittens knowing they were growing teeth and momma was ready to wean then off the teet. So I'm sure your cat will bring out kittens when she's ready but it might only be one or two. You might want to be ready for them with some pate can cat food or something like that. If she is tame enough for you to pick up try to look at her belly and see if her fur is pushed away from the teets and they'd probably be dry just from her getting up and leaving the kittens to sleep while she goes to feed but the fur would be pushed away from the teet in a circle around it then you'll know for certain if she's nursing or not. That would be your tell tale sign so to speak. Good luck, I hope her kittens made it. I'll be hoping for the best!

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Once a long time ago when I was just a kid I was feeding a calico that showed up at our house and it was winter, in Northeast Florida though, back then it'd get rather cold unlike now, anyway this calico kept going under our house and she too had engorged nipples, correct term btw, but being a 12 yr old I didn't notice it then due to her long hair however when the 2 kittens were approximately 6 to 8 weeks old the calico brought them out from under our house and only took them back when she was ready to either feed them or put them down for bedtime. I began to leave soft food for the kittens knowing they were growing teeth and momma was ready to wean then off the teet. So I'm sure your cat will bring out kittens when she's ready but it might only be one or two. You might want to be ready for them with some pate can cat food or something like that. If she is tame enough for you to pick up try to look at her belly and see if her fur is pushed away from the teets and they'd probably be dry just from her getting up and leaving the kittens to sleep while she goes to feed but the fur would be pushed away from the teet in a circle around it then you'll know for certain if she's nursing or not. That would be your tell tale sign so to speak. Good luck, I hope her kittens made it. I'll be hoping for the best!
Thanks, the kittens are alive and I found a rescue to take them.
Greymomandbabies.jpg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good news! Beaming! Momma seems a beutie (aside of apparently being a fantastic mom, as the kittens are alive and well). Do you have more pics of her? Face, eye color?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would suggest checking mom for a microchip, as she looks a bit like a Russian Blue in the picture, and cats from breeders are often microchipped... although it's also possible she may be a "lookalike" that just happens to resemble a RB. In any case she's a lovely girl, and it's wonderful that you were able to rescue the kittens too!!

Last edited:

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would suggest checking mom for a microchip, as she looks a bit like a Russian Blue in the picture, and cats from breeders are often microchipped... although it's also possible she may be a "lookalike" that just happens to resemble a RB. In any case she's a lovely girl, and it's wonderful that you were able to rescue the kittens too!!
I'm sure she is just a look alike. Nobody around here takes their cats to the vet, so I'm sure she doesn't have a chip. But the rescue that took her in will probably check anyway. The little kittens are so amazing and perfect. I'm glad they will have a chance at a good life now.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Does she has some reddish on top of the head (ie may be a diluted tortie). Or it just seems so?