?How to teach my cat to stand up to 2 small puppies?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to say the cocker spaniel mix puppies are 4.5 months old now & my cats is 3 years old. He sees the puppies on the weekend, along with his 2 siblings and my moms other 2 cats that are seniors. He gets along fine with the senior cats and mostly wants to be up high from the puppies. The problem is they chase my cat when he runs from (thinking it is a game or maybe their hunting instincts take over so they chase?) I have been stopping them by calling them/distracting them. However the other cats that just sit and stare at the puppies or that stand their grounds, the puppies don’t chase them.

So how can I help encourage my super wussy cat Jackie to stand up to the puppies?

Here are the puppieson Halloween (they are up to around 11 & 14 pounds now) & my cat Jackie from last Christmas.

Attachments

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
The problem is they chase my cat when he runs from (thinking it is a game or maybe their hunting instincts take over so they chase?) I have been stopping them by calling them/distracting them. However the other cats that just sit and stare at the puppies or that stand their grounds, the puppies don’t chase them.

So how can I help encourage my super wussy cat Jackie to stand up to the puppies?
I definitely agree with Kat0121 Kat0121 ....that the puppies need to be trained. :thumbsup:

Oh my goodness...they are all so adorable. :loveeyes:
(It actually took me 9 months to train my black retriever-labrador mix dog...to stop chasing the cats...when I first got him as a new puppy.
This is before I joined The Cat Site, ...and actually at one point in time,...I told my sister that I think our cats would have to live on the second floor...while the dog was on the first...because I thought his play chasing...would never end.:eek2: I was so clueless back then...and a bit exhausted...from having to train him every day.) :doh: :dunno:

danteshuman danteshuman ...I don't think you can actually encourage your adorable cat Jackie...to stand up to the puppies. :think:
Jackie...is probably just running and playing with the pups...since he is fairly young.
He's probably enjoying leading them on endless chases.
Especially if he doesn't play and chase with the senior cats.

What you have to watch out for, as well, ...is that a cat can do a lot of damage to a puppy...by scratching them in the eyes, nose, face.
(My rainbow senior cat, at the time, who grew up with dogs, hit the puppy 'lightning fast' on his nose...and caused him to jump back and cry. I was more concerned about the puppy pushing his way towards the cat, and had full hold on the puppy...but never even realized that the cat could, and would, strike so fast and cause him pain. He was okay, but I was lucky.) :cringe:

***If you can get those very 'long training leashes'...and attach them to the puppies harnesses, or collars,...then you can control how far the puppies can run.
The suggestion is that you walk around ...with these leashes attached to you, your waist, ...throughout the day...until the puppy learns not to chase.

(It was very hard to do, ...but did work...eventually.)
(I also attached his long training leash to the bottom stair banister, while entirely supervised, to see how far he would lunge for the cats. When he would listen, he would get treats, or a favorite toy.

Having High Places...for your cat to walk and escape to...is also excellent...but you have to go around the entire house...and make sure all escape routes for the cats are there.

Basically, the dog training...like Kat0121 mentioned...is the only thing that will work with controlling the puppies' behaviour.
Plus, it gets you to bond with all the animals, and sets you up...with good, obedient dogs.
Good Luck...and post some more photos...of the puppies and cats.
You know we love photos. :blush:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the obedience training. The owners are working on it but it is hard training them because there are two of them. Everyone atm is trying to work on the puppies to calmly take the treats out of their hands (no teeth) or to not have both of them charging for the same treat when you are trying to reward one for sitting. I have been separating them to train them for a minute or two (or holding one while training the other.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jackie has a favorite playmate/wrestle buddy his brother Nick (who is black) & their sisterCami sometimes plays with them (dilute Tortie and very fluffy!) They are all from the same litter. It is becuase the boys are a bonded pair that Jackie visits on the weekend. The boys love to play fight and Cami lives to play hide & seek.

I do worry about Jackie scratching the puppies on the nose. This weekend he did better and stayed on the couch as the puppies got up on the couch to be with me. Since the puppies ignored him, he just froze. I will try the leashes inside and see if that helps.

Attachments

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I remember those "puppy shark-like teeth". Wow. That brings back memories. :biggrin:
That seemed to last long, too. (until after teething, I think.)
I hope yours don't enjoy biting pant legs and bottoms of pj's...and just holding on.:headshake:
Jackie has a favorite playmate/wrestle buddy his brother Nick (who is black) & their sisterCami sometimes plays with them (dilute Tortie and very fluffy!) They are all from the same litter. It is becuase the boys are a bonded pair that Jackie visits on the weekend. The boys love to play fight and Cami lives to play hide & seek.
Awww...thanks for those photos. :)
They are so amazingly cute...especially in those kitten photos...
I love the one of the three of them.

To think they were all that small, ...and now look at them. :blush:

Another thing I just realized...is that the puppies might be especially chasing Jackie...because they don't see him all the time.
He would be the "new toy"...."new cat" ....to them...even if it's only on weekends.
I think that Jackie will slowly get his Confidence up...but especially when the puppies are trained...and acting calmer around the home.

***Yes, definitely try the leashes inside.
And if the puppies are allowed on the couch...then you may have to think of some thing "higher" for Jackie to rest on.
A higher cat tree...or higher boxes, cubes...side table...something where the puppies cannot climb to.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
cat nap cat nap gave you some great advice! :thumbsup: The only thing I would like to add is that everyone, (human), who interacts with the puppies with regard to obedience training has to be consistent in order for the pups to get the same message. I was the one who worked with our dog when he passed his CGC but my husband went with to watch so that we could both be on the same page.

I agree the puppies are adorable and Jackie is "pawsitively" precious. :hearthrob: