How to take in a neglected cat

catlover001

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This cat runs and the neighborhood killing animals and angering the neighbors by putting dead rabbits under their porch.

I spoke to the neighbor after finding the owner, but they firstly cussed me out and secondly said it's impossible to keep a cat indoors. Nonsense.

It's illegal in our town to have a free roaming cat, and it is also against the HOA rules. I looked up these rules and laws, and it is clear, and also applies to cats.

Well over the past months we fed this cat who seemed starving, and we like him. If he runs outside he's back 10 minutes later and we let him back in. After all it's 100 degrees outside.

His owners said they want him, but they didn't take care of him, he was always roaming the neighborhood, and killing and eating the local wildlife - rabbits, birds, anything he can catch, and causing a nuisance to the neighbors. When we confronted them, he didn't show up at our door for one morning. But the next morning, there he was again, but a little bit skittish, like he had been beaten.

He had viscious claws and when we first met him, resulted in many scratches and bites. We got many hand and foot wounds, but we trained him to stop, and later cut his long 2" claws in the front that looked like they had never been trimmed. Now, he is no longer dangerous to us because he doesn't scratch or bite. He's not skittish anymore either.

For awhile we would feed him but then put him out in the evening. In the morning, every morning, he would be waiting on our front porch. He didn't like being put outside and wanted to stay inside and would jump out of my arms and run back inside! So, eventually we got a couple liter boxes and let him stay inside.

He's basically been in our house for months now, with the exception of occasionally going outside for 10 minutes here and there but always coming right back and running in our door, plopping down on the cool hardwood in the kitchen, panting from the heat. But even when it's nice outside, he's back after a short while. On a rare occasion he'll stay out at night, but be waiting in our front porch in the morning.

Most of the time he hangs out with us in the couch or on my blanket on my desk which I put there for him.

We're basically his sole providers now, and he's happy.

Here's the problem: we've decided to move an hour away. But, we would like to keep him. The owners may not be happy with that, since they basically want to own him but want the neighbors to feed him and take care of him. Some neighbors may kill him though if he started killing rabbits again and putting them under their porches. It's also illegal and against HOA, and he could be hit by a car. He certainly doesn't want to live with them, he escapes them and doesn't go back.

How do we keep him? We move next week.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover001

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh and despite him being in our house for months, there have been no "missing cat" signs anywhere for this cat. However, there was a sign for a different neighbor's missing cat. So, this cat's owners obviously don't care about him going missing, even though they said they do want him.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It doesn't sound to me like his owner's really care, tbh. I am sure others might disagree with me, but I would just take him. It is awful to say this, but depending on where you live, a cat is considered property and 'possession is 9/10 of the law'. It would be helpful, just in case these people would pursue you and him, to have proof of his being in your home almost all of the time for the past several months. But, I am not sure they are going to care enough to try to find you or get the cat back.

Are you going to treat him as an indoor cat in your new home? I hope so, but if not, you will need to keep him inside for a long enough period of time that he becomes accustomed to his new home, or he might try to travel back to his old home (aka yours). You know what all to do to prepare him for a new home, and how to handle him when he gets there? If not, there are TCS articles to help with that, and I would be more than happy to provide links to them so you can read them.

catlover001

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I would treat him as an indoor cat, until he got accustomed to his new home, as well as outside on the screened porch. I would definitely read more articles on how to adjust a cat to a new home.

I thought of trying to buy the cat, but what if they say no? Now they would know who has their cat. If we said nothing, they'd probably figure he ran away for good, or maybe forget about him and then a year later think, "I wonder what happened to the cat? Oh well".

But I'm not just concerned about legal, but also moral. I want to do the right thing. But I'm also concerned about the future of this cat without us. Could he survive? Possibly, but what if the neighbor gets fed up? What if he dies of heat or cold, or even suffers from it? My heart breaks thinking of him showing up on our porch, then running to the back, and no one answers. Then the next day, and eventually, realize he's all alone. :(

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I get what you are saying, but sometimes doing the moral thing might better apply to an animal for its well-being over a human, especially one who seems to have no regard for this poor cat. Yes, the 'right thing' to do would be to ask them, but then you stand the chance of them saying no. They might even keep him away from you and then once you are gone, he is let back outside to fend for himself. If you choose to take him, I would do everything in my power to NOT let him out at night anymore - whatever it takes - you know him best and how to work around that.

I will look up those articles for you and post again with the links.

catlover001

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, I will keep you posted, but I would like to hear the opinion of some others first too. I want to do the right thing.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
But I'm also concerned about the future of this cat without us. Could he survive?
You've already seen his future, he will do exactly the same as he was doing before you took him in, so you have a clear answer as to whether he'll survive or not.

He didn't like being put outside and wanted to stay inside and would jump out of my arms and run back inside!
Our opinions matter a whole lot less than his.

catlover001

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You've already seen his future, he will do exactly the same as he was doing before you took him in, so you have a clear answer as to whether he'll survive or not.
Just because he hasn't been hit by a car yet, died of heat stroke or hypothermia yet, or been killed by an angry neighbor yet, didn't mean this won't happen in the future.

Our opinions matter a whole lot less than his.
What do you mean, are you saying since he wants to stay with us, then it's his decision?

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I will keep you posted, but I would like to hear the opinion of some others first too. I want to do the right thing.
Definely, KEEP HIM! If he’s basically been with you in your home, feeding him I wouldn’t give it another thought. The owners are rotten SOB’s and should be treated the way they treat that poor innocent cat who can’t speak for himself.
But please do not mention anything to them about buying the cat etc...as you said they would know when it was missing you probably had him and please keep him as an indoor cat....I’ve heard of cats/dogs finding their way home when lost miles away, and it could even take weeks/ months but they somehow find their way. You wouldn’t want the poor cat to wander off to head back to your old neighborhood and probably end up dead.
i hate people who are cruel to animals, any animal!
let us know how things turn out....
in fact until you move I’d keep him inside now, just in case he did go out and those miserable owners ended up really hurting him!
Good luck..

MikeyInTheFlowerPot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I would treat him as an indoor cat, until he got accustomed to his new home, as well as outside on the screened porch. I would definitely read more articles on how to adjust a cat to a new home.

I thought of trying to buy the cat, but what if they say no? Now they would know who has their cat. If we said nothing, they'd probably figure he ran away for good, or maybe forget about him and then a year later think, "I wonder what happened to the cat? Oh well".

But I'm not just concerned about legal, but also moral. I want to do the right thing. But I'm also concerned about the future of this cat without us. Could he survive? Possibly, but what if the neighbor gets fed up? What if he dies of heat or cold, or even suffers from it? My heart breaks thinking of him showing up on our porch, then running to the back, and no one answers. Then the next day, and eventually, realize he's all alone. :(
You are taking care of him. Take him with you and make him an indoor cat only. Is he neutered?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In our area there is a law that states that if you feed a stray for 7 consecutive days then you are legally responsible for them. Originally this law was put into place to make people responsible for damages or injuries caused by animals but it has become a tool for many to establish ownership and save neglected pets. That along with proof via vet bills to document care have been useful. Document everything! Take pictures of the kitty as a part of your family and home, If you have not taken him to a vet, you need to in order to establish good care and to have him checked for a microchip. No chip? You may be able to establish ownership. You could get him chipped under your name. Here, I have to turn strays over to animal control these days but after a few days of the animal being unclaimed, I can legally adopt. Laws vary and change. You can check all county ordinances online and you already know about the HOA. Do you have photos or anything to show he has been under your care all this time? That would help to establish that the owner was neglectful or that you actually “own” him depending on the rules where you live. Neglect of a cat is a crime in many places. Violating a leash law and allowing free roaming is a violation you found but , by itself would probably just result in a fine or the cat being confiscated by animal control. Personally, if I knew a cat was neglected or abused, I would make sure it never, ever happened again. As someone who has pulled in a lot of cats, I can tell you that I will fight to keep them safe. I don’t know what route you need to choose to do this but please, please make sure that kitty is in the arms of those who he loves, trusts and will give him proper care. I understand that you are trying to decide between what is right legally and morally and what your heart tells you. Maybe it would help settle your mind if you spoke ,anonymously, to some local vets or rescue groups. Tell them what has happened. They can probably advise you well. I can only say that I will always do what is required to save a life. It seems to me that you have already been doing that.

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This may sound terrible but sometimes, a lot of times, people who try to do the “right” thing end up holding the short end of the stick....the laws are NOT always fair!
This poor cat cannot speak for himself but seems to me by his actions he feels loved and safe in your home....go with it and take him when you move....do not feel guilty for one second....you are saving his life! Please...

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have been in this situation more than once and have always taken the animal. To me this is a situation ethics kind of question and not one that is about some higher moral law. I am not going to bore you with all the stories, but in very, very similar situations where I was the sole caregiver for a stray animal who had bad owners I took/kept the cat. No one ever came close to investigating or reclaiming the cat.

When you move, take him more or less secretly into your car in case you are worried about "witnesses" and whisk him off to his new home with you. From your account, I firmly believe that this cat will die very shortly after you leave him. Too many strikes against him and you, his only protector, will be gone. He will die knowing that he was abandoned and never understand why.

The only time I have approached people about taking an animal is in very short term situations where something had transpired that would have made it seem as if I had taken the animal illegally....and then I am not sure that anyone would have followed up. In those cases I was prepared to offer a decent amount of money up front....which no one ever took oddly enough. One time I saw a dog being beaten in a front yard by its "owner", so I stopped and asked if something was wrong, playing dumb of course. The next day I went back and offered them money and a story about how I had been looking for a dog like that. Since it was confined on a chain in their front yard, behind a chain link fence, it would have been hard to secretly take the dog. Those are the only kinds of situations where I come forward.