how to switch to a food you know your cat will like?

__Dina__

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im just wondering if there is any resource out there that says "if your pet likes this brand and this flavor, they will also like Y brand and Z flavor". Like, my cats absolutely love "Wellness CORE Signature Selects Shredded Boneless Chicken & Chicken Liver" which is fine by me but i was thinking it is time to change to a new protein source. Their dry food is rabbit, but they seem to have a clear preference of chicken for wet food. For wet foods, I have tried beef (hate it), turkey (some success, no long-term favorites), various chicken pates (love these!), and rabbit (didnt like).

I do not want to give fish. But maybe finding another turkey would be nice. they just stop eating it after a few days of it.

Anybody else feed their cats the Wellness Signature selects chicken and find any other can that their cats like just as much?

my sibling cats are both ~1.5 years old.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Unfortunately, it often is a trial and error sort of thing with cats and food, since one cat may like something that another cat doesn't, plus even if the ingredients from one food to the next are similar, there might be that one item that puts a cat off of it...

My boy hated beef, but since his illness last spring, he's been more open minded about it :)

With that said, although this isn't quite what you're thinking of, it could be of help with finding individual ingredients

Check This Out.... Chart For Cat Food Ingredients

There's this as well that might help;

CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im just wondering if there is any resource out there that says "if your pet likes this brand and this flavor, they will also like Y brand and Z flavor"
I wish cats were so easy :) I agree with Furballsmom Furballsmom that it’s mostly a trial and error and it all depends on cats. For some flavor is the most important factor, but for some texture is a big thing. They can like one chicken can and hate the other.
Some companies would offer free samples to try (Rawz, dr Elsey) when you contact them and ask for it. I used to order individual cans from Only Natural Pet but they stopped selling them individually. But they still can be bought in pet shops.

One advice I would have for you is to rotate the flavors/proteins they like. Maybe that’s the reason they don’t want to eat turkey can that they liked before, they got tired of it when they eat it on every meal. When I used to feed canned only, I had to have around 10 different brands/flavors that I would rotate to my guys to ensure they didn’t eat the same can too often. The rotation has other benefits, eg. when companies change formulas or stop producing the only canned food they eat, you simply take that can out of rotation and cats are hardly affected. Plus the variety of proteins can limit the risk of developing allergies.

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Like others have said, trial and error is the only way sometimes. I currently feed my cats Fancy Feast Seafood Pate and I don't want them to be hooked on fish so I just went to the pet supplies store and bought 10 cans of different brands of cat food and will see how that goes.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Variations, that is what I do. If I feed them the same food all over again, they won't eat. There is no surefire way to tell if a cat will like its food.

In my household one cat may like the food which the other won't even try to taste. Sometimes, all of them would not like a certain food today, but tomorrow they'd change their minds. So it is frustrating at most times.

All my cats do not like beef.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

__Dina__

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im just wondering if there is any resource out there that says "if your pet likes this brand and this flavor, they will also like Y brand and Z flavor". Like, my cats absolutely love "Wellness CORE Signature Selects Shredded Boneless Chicken & Chicken Liver" which is fine by me but i was thinking it is time to change to a new protein source. Their dry food is rabbit, but they seem to have a clear preference of chicken for wet food. For wet foods, I have tried beef (hate it), turkey (some success, no long-term favorites), various chicken pates (love these!), and rabbit (didnt like).

I do not want to give fish. But maybe finding another turkey would be nice. they just stop eating it after a few days of it.

Anybody else feed their cats the Wellness Signature selects chicken and find any other can that their cats like just as much?

my sibling cats are both ~1.5 years old.
thank you all for the suggestions! my cats love the wellness signature selects and eat it no problem every meal. i will just have to try out a bunch of others by buying single cans

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The Big Bad Woof may still allow small quantity online orders, -- I don't know how their selection of cat food is these days.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Late response but trial and error seem to be the only option. I've figured out my guys don't like pate so I generall avoid pate unless I am willing to mash it with water before serving. The texture makes a difference with them.

A new one (to me at least) I figured out, Friskies has warmd packets now where they tell you to put it in a bowl of hot water for 2 minutes before serving. I tried it for the novelty and then realized I can do the same with any pouch. A duh moment for sure, but this last week they eat every bite if I put the pouch of their regular food in hot water for a few minutes before dishing it out. Before they left probably a third of each portion in the dish, so better.