How to stop my deaf kitty, 8 mo old, from climbs my glass shelves and knocking off collector glassware and other items.

Bethpat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does anybody have any ideas on how to stop my deaf 8 month old kitty from climbing my glass shelves and knocking off collector's glassware pieces and other valuable items? Since she's deaf, "no!" doesn't work. I've tried rewarding her for getting down (even if I have to force her) and I've tried confining her to her "playpen/multi level crate" when after repeatedly forcing her off the shelves (a dozen times in an hour and a half) and nothing works. Help!!!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Assuming you can't block access somehow, and defending the approaches with the motion activated air spray won't work (sold as "Sscaat" or something like that), you might want to relocate the collectibles temporarily and try one of the methods such as aluminum foil or double sided tape. The hope would be that once you break the habit you can go back to displaying your collectibles without unsightly counter-measures.

Failing that, you could admit defeat and secure the collectibles to the shelving in some fashion (maybe those mounting strips they sell now).

pmv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Frankly if I had something fragile I wanted to display, I'd either buy a new display case that was fully enclosed, or modify the existing one to add a glass door to the front to keep the kitten out.

There are definitely ways to deter the kitten, and ArtNJ has given some good options, but making the behavior impossible is the most effective form of deterrent. Cats love shelving in general, and kittens are highly inquisitive and will explore their world with zest. Even if you deter them from one spot and give them plenty of other spots, you may never reach zero jumping onto these shelves.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Honestly, since you're trying to protect "collector's glassware pieces and other valuable items", I would put them away somewhere safe, at least until your kitten is an adult. Right now, she's young and all about the play, so even if she wasn't deaf, training her to stay off of things would be difficult.

TCS does have this article on How To Keep Cats Off Counters And Tables – TheCatSite Articles which might have some suggestions, but keep in mind that even the best behaved cats can get inquisitive, so as pmv pmv suggested, a fully enclosed display case is probably your best way to protect breakables.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Museum putty can be a very good friend to the owner of a rambunctious kitten. It secures your items to their shelving without damaging either the item of the shelf. Which is why museums use it, come to think of it. Your best friend here, once your items are secured, is time. Your little one is about the equivalent of a 10-year-old boy, and having reared two of the human version of that, I can tell you that they are the equivalent of a small, contained nuclear blast! However, cats grow up (relatively) quickly, and in another 8-10 months, he'll be a different cat.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How many cat trees do you have? I would add a tall cat tree near there so she has a "yes" item and may not wanna climb. Being deaf she is for sure more geared towards being a visual cat so seeing what's going on is important. So I would ensure lots of tall cat trees for her :)

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Museum putty can be a very good friend to the owner of a rambunctious kitten. It secures your items to their shelving without damaging either the item of the shelf. Which is why museums use it, come to think of it.
:yeah: +1 on Museum Putty!

Go to Home Depot, etc., and get something called "QuakeHOLD Museum Wax."

This is the exact product that many museums use to secure display items to shelves to prevent them from falling and getting damaged.
I used to work (volunteer) in a museum and this is the very product that we used to use.

People who live in earthquake prone areas like in California sometimes use this same product to secure items to shelves in case of a tremor. In the case of an earthquake, not only can objects get damaged by falling but falling objects can also damage people!

Since it sounds like your cat plays like an earthquake, this product ought to do, nicely! ;) ;) ;)