How to stop my cat from peeing on the heat vent?

nanetz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two female cats.  One is 15 and the other is 19.  The 15 year old has started peeing on the heat vents.  She pees in a litter pan, beside the litter pan and now over the heat vents.  The vet says there is no UTI so what can I do?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has she had blood work done? UTI is not the only reason for litter box avoidance. Kidney disease and diabetes may also cause this.

I recommend you take her back to the vet, or to a different vet, and get blood work done.

Make sure the litter boxes are kept clean. Add another box in a new location. But the blood work is the most important thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nanetz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She has had blood work done.  No diabetes, no infection, no nothing, no stones felt in her abdomen.  I have a litter box in the garage which she uses, one in the basement which she uses as well as in front of the box and another place on the basement floor.  I have two in the family room that I scoop 3 times a day and wash every other day.  I have paper and blue pads down around the litter pans as she pees in the pan or poos in the pan and then pees on the areas around the pans.  This has been going on for about 2 years, but going over the heat vents is new.  I am exhausted and really at the end with all this.  The problem is she is a very loving cat.

nanetz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, I forgot to mention that I have both cats on a low protein diet because of their ages.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Low protein? Why? Cats are obligate carnivores, they need a lot of protein. It's the quality and source of the protein that is important. :)

My advice is get them on a high quality grain free, fruit and veggie free canned diet. They need protein, MEAT protein. And they need moisture from their food.

And add something like krill oil or cosequin for cats as an anti-inflammatory.

It's quite possible, in fact highly likely, that her bladder and urinary tract are inflamed, especially if she is on a dry diet, causing her pain, or at the very least, discomfort, when she pees. She blames the litter box for this, so tries going elsewhere.

An all wet diet, with an anti-inflammatory supplement, will help her a lot.

Last edited:

nanetz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do feed her canned food.  She does not like dry food.  I had to put one of my other cats on the low protein food and they eat each other's food so they all get low protein food 7-9%.  The vet had told me that as they age they are less able to digest the protein.  She hunts and catches mice, voles, birds to suppliment her diet.  Although since it is getting colder she does no go out so much.

awwwkittykitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can not help with why she chooses to pee on the heat vent....However, I would imagine that the vents are difficult to completely clean the urine from which may be why she continues to pee on it.  Try cleaning with an Enzymatic cleaner, and once cleaned. you can cover the vent with aluminum foil or plastic to help her from reusing the area.  You could also put the litter box in the spot that she uses, if she continues to use the box, you can gradually move the box back to its previous home.  Essentially, retraining her to use the box.  just some thoughts, I had.  I can imagine how frustrating it must be to have such a situation.. Good Luck.

nanetz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for all your help.  I will keep trying.