How To Stop More Ferals From "staying" In Yard

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 -----"furmily" is my new favorite word!!!!!! Somehow I'd never heard that - - -and I DIG IT - - I snort laughed out loud when I read that!.

Don't think anyone's mentioned this to you yet - - - if they did already - -I apologize for reiterating something already said. But when I saw you're in Queens - - in the middle of the night last night it popped into my head: Mike Phillips. He's an ENORMOUS advocate for TNR, socialization, stray cats - - all of it - - he's a very "cat compassionate" guy. Years ago - - -when I first began doing TNR work, very little was written about TNR/ferals/ferals vs stray/socializing, etc.

Long story short: I ended up in a long, very wonderful, funny, compassionate tip-filled phone conversation with Mr. Phillips!!!!! He now works mostly with two organizations - NYC Feral Cat Initiative of the Mayor's Alliance for NYC's Animals, and the Urban Cat League. My phone chat with him was one of the big factors in my not hiding under the pillow, trying to drown out the sound of un-neutered males mating in my backyard.

So I did a quick search - - and the NYC Feral Cat Initiative (along w/ASPCA) is having a FREE workshop about socializing feral and shy kittens for adoption - - and it's hosted by - - Mike Phillips!!! Even if the subject - the socialization part - - of the workshop isn't where your need is right now - -- attending this could, at the very least, help you connect with people (both individuals and groups) who might be able to help you in a "boots on the ground" way that people like me can't! Link below is for that workshop:

Mayor's Alliance for NYC's Animals, Inc. - Taming Feral Kittens for Adoption (03/13/18)

I'd also highly recommend taking a look at the website for NYC Feral Cat Initiative - - it's got alot of info - - including specific places you can find help and resources right there in NY (no - I'm not a paid spokesperson :) ). They offer things like workshops about things like bottle-feeding, taming kittens, AND neighborhood relations !!!!! Not to mention free loans of traps, cages, dividers....free transport of cats and traps to and from clinics in your area...AND free community outreach materials (just for "helpful" neighbors!!!!!), and help in the manner of advice, education, and resources through phone and email!!!

About the NYC Feral Cat Initiative

I really hope combining lots of support here on our forum with some "boots on the ground" things offered by places like the others I mentioned will help you find the help that will help YOU feel a little less "trapped!"
EXCELLENT post!
Oh, yeah, we cat people have our own vocabulary. When I was born, for instance, my big brofur was 3 and he welcomed me into the furmily. :yess:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvcats222

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all once again for all of the wonderful links, information and support! It has helped. I just get anxious due to the time of year and here in NY, the cold weather. It's difficult to TNR when the weather is too cold and I want to get the new ones fixed asap. I'm trying to hang in there.....I really have no other choice. Are there really places that will take adult ferals in and socialize them?

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 .... THAT cracked me up! As a person in advertising I love a good pun/play on words!!!!!! And thanks for the kind words on the post. :heartshape:

L luvcats222 - we have nothing like that around where I live. The closest to that near me is an organization that, vs euthanizing, has a huge indoor/outdoor cat-fenced area set up for feral and semi-feral cats that they receive in situations such as hit-by-car, etc. where they don't have any idea what the background of the cat is until they're out of surgery, etc. So on the rare occasion they take one in that does turn out to be feral, and there's no opportunity to return it to where it came from, they have the ability to keep the kitty instead of euthanizing it. But near me, in the midwest, that's it that I know of. And they don't really attempt to socialize - - they just let them "be" - while keeping them safe and fed (not a bad gig for the kitty!).

There's a place in California that has enormous acreage and does take ferals - The Cat House on the Kings . And rarely they work on socializing them - but more often, they just take them in and keep them safe, fed, and happy. Again - very unusual. It's worth poking around their website - - -I watched a special on them - - they're an interesting place.

As we all know - socializing adult true ferals is tough - - nothing's impossible! But I'd highly suggest getting in touch with one of the places I listed in my last post -- -they're close to you, and I'm sure if anyone can help you - I know at least Michael Phillips is beyond compassionate and ALSO understands the human toll that doing what you're doing takes on a person (I sound like I have a "feral cat crush" don't I?!?! :D). I hope you are able to contact them (and don't forget Alley Cat Allies!!!) and can get even more advice specific to your area - - some actual physical help - - maybe monetary help even through help with food, etc. I think those places could really make a difference for you! And like I said -- I think it might really be helpful to even do something like attend that free seminar - - I have a feeling you'll be SURROUNDED by people who have almost the exact same frustrations and worries that you do!!!!

Fingers crossed for you - - - you've done so much for the kitty world already!!!!!!!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all once again for all of the wonderful links, information and support! It has helped. I just get anxious due to the time of year and here in NY, the cold weather. It's difficult to TNR when the weather is too cold and I want to get the new ones fixed asap. I'm trying to hang in there.....I really have no other choice. Are there really places that will take adult ferals in and socialize them?
kittychick kittychick is right, L luvcats222 -- and don't forget to look at those links from bestfriends.org/resources and also www.lacroixtees.com.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Both of those are great places too!!!!!!! I'm more familiar with Best Friends, but the other seems great too. And Alley Cat Allies! Add them to all of the help here and you've got an army of people rooting for you!