How to stop kittens playing in the water bowl

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
At first I found it amusing, then slightly inconvenient, but now it's kind of annoy... I have a litter of water loving kittens! They will jump in the sink while I'm doing dishes, jump in the bath if we don't close the door when we bathe, and seem to think the auto water bowl is a literal kitty pool (see videos).
Any ideas to stop them at least from playing in the water bowl? I have 14 cats total so it was nice to be able to just fill up the auto waterer and they would be good for a bit. I also keep the taps in the bathroom on trickle and have a small bowl that the kittens don't mess with too much in the living room so they do have water.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Just playing. First video looks like she trying to
reach for something underneath. Very curious cats. . She finds it interesting. Second she is massaging her paws inside. She likes the smooth texture. I have big ceramic elevated water bowls though I can see how a fountain would be useful with 14 cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just playing. First video looks like she trying to
reach for something underneath. Very curious cats. . She finds it interesting. Second she is massaging her paws inside. She likes the smooth texture. I have big ceramic elevated water bowls though I can see how a fountain would be useful with 14 cats
Yeah she is trying to get the stopper thing on the bottom of the tank, she hits it and bubbles go up and more water comes out :rolleyes3:, she is lucky she is so cute and has me wrapped around her little paw... :catrub:I have a fountain too, but the auto water tank holds more water (4L vs 2L) and doesn't require a filter or electricity. I might try a different style auto waterer though when I have some money, it's overdue for replacing anyway. Maybe if they don't see the stopper they will be less likely to try to play with it.
:think:

I can see how that could quickly go from "amusing" to "annoying". :sigh:

I don't have any suggestions, so did a site search and found some similar threads. Purr-haps there'll be something helpful in them.

Search Results for Query: playing with water
Hm ok, so it looks like there isn't really a solution, just have to deal with it and hope they grow out of it, lol. These kittens are a handful, but at least I'm home all day so I can just refill the small bowls of water which they don't seem to find as amusing to play in. I'll keep trying from time to time with the auto waterer hopefully it will lose it's entertainment value as they get older.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Was watching this thread with 'dread', because I have absolutely NOTHING to add and feel bad for you. Hope your temporary solution works (albeit laborious) and these kittens get tired of the water antics!! Do keep us posted - if for no other reason than to vent!

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, I set the water fountain up a couple days ago, and after splashing water all over the bathroom once they now seem to be drinking more like civilized creatures, lol. They still splash a little but they aren't paddling in the water like they do in the auto waterer, so that's hopeful.

KittensWaterfountain.jpg KittensWaterfountain2.jpg

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just wait it out, they will move on to something soon. And pray it isn’t the toilet paper.
Oh unfortunately they have already discovered the joy of attacking and chewing up toilet paper, lol. I have to keep it in the cabinet and take it out when I go to the bathroom. Though even that doesn't always stop them... they open cabinets now. :cringe: I got up the other morning to find one of them helping himself to the whole package of brand new toilet paper rolls in the cabinet.:doh: