How to stop kitten getting out on ledge?

UnoMama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! 7(ish) week old Uno, who I rescued last week as a stray, has been getting more comfortable and naughtier!

I did attempt cat-proofing my house, including installing chicken wire on the small balcony area ... but I noticed he got out today. Nearly had a heart attack and managed to coax him back so everyone's fine and the balcony door is firmly shut for now.... but I do want to be able to open it, it's a really good source of ventilation in my studio apartment!

So I guess my questions are:

1. How can I reinforce this chicken wire - clearly it's not enough .... but we've just entered another lockdown in my country and there are limitations on where I can go and buy stuff ...
2. Are there any other ways of deterring a seriously curious kitty from sneaking out onto the ledge?

IMG_3666.JPG
IMG_3667.JPG

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
How did he get out on the ledge, did he squeeze under the chicken wire?

What I would do is get some heavy planks of wood and nail the chicken wire to it so he can't squeeze under. Either that or get some wood that is a tiny bit narrower than the gap between the window ledge and the metal bar the grating is attached to and wedge that into the gap.

Make sure the ends are secure too. Once a cat has found a way out they'll keep coming back and trying to get out that way again. What's it like at the top? He can't climb over can he?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

UnoMama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How did he get out on the ledge, did he squeeze under the chicken wire?

What I would do is get some heavy planks of wood and nail the chicken wire to it so he can't squeeze under. Either that or get some wood that is a tiny bit narrower than the gap between the window ledge and the metal bar the grating is attached to and wedge that into the gap.

Make sure the ends are secure too. Once a cat has found a way out they'll keep coming back and trying to get out that way again. What's it like at the top? He can't climb over can he?
I suspect it was squeezing out under it, he's ....fairly tiny (but clearly very active!). I found him already outside of it when I went to check.

Wood seems like a good solution ...on it!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Run a length of steel wire, the one covered with a plastic layer, usually used for garden fencing, at the very bottom of the chicken wire, passing it in and out through the mesh, like your'e seaming through it, and pull it tight and tense. Tie it to the rods of your railing on the balcony.
It will get hard for kitty to push past under it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

UnoMama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Run a length of steel wire, the one covered with a plastic layer, usually used for garden fencing, at the very bottom of the chicken wire, passing it in and out through the mesh, like your'e seaming through it, and pull it tight and tense. Tie it to the rods of your railing on the balcony.
It will get hard for kitty to push past under it.
OMG this is great - I can order the wire online which makes it easier than sourcing the wood planks