How to stop kitten bring in mice

Mini-mimi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 3 cats. The 1 oldest female (orange) doesn’t really catch mice. The 2 oldest (buffalo) who mainly outdoors we got to catch mice. And now a kitten. Which is the first time I had one usually I get given older cats.

My kitten (Mimi) usually sleep in the day and likes being outdoors at night so we leave the back door open for him. But the past 2 weeks or so he keeps bringing in dead mice. Like almost daily now habIt.

Also yesterday I just noticed my 1st cat (who’s usually grumpy with the kitten) brought him a live mouse. And the kitten was playing with it but didn’t kill it and I couldn’t find the mouse. So I think they must be teaching him.

I don’t want him to stop catching mice which is main reason why we have cats. But I want to stop him bring them inside. My other cats never did that As my other cats are usually very lazy and usually leave the kill outside on the lawn.
Also before he brought in mice I notice he had a habit of bringing in stuff like long branches from outside or his play toys usually in the early morning or in the middle of the night when I’m asleep. Is this normal behaviour what does it mean.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You either keep him inside, or close the door and make him wait till you feel like opening it. If you have a vocal cat, they can learn to make noise at the door. Admittedly, this method works a lot better with a glass door, but even when I had a glass door my cat would sometimes go to the solid front door and meow loudly. Beyond that, its not possible. This is something that some cats do, and some dont. You have one that does. You need to either put up with it, keep him inside, or act as a doorman.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i dont think you can he's offering proof that he is doing his job :lol:our cat graycie likes to drop live roaches when she catches them at my gf's feet which freaks her out causing her to find the nearest furniture to get away from the roach. it could be worse though i read a post a while back and the members cat would lay them on their pillow to wake up to:lol:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think if you want to have cats that catch mice, you will have to deal with the probability of them bringing them in dead - or alive - as a way to show you what they've done/can do. I personally do not think there is a way to encourage one behavior while discouraging the possible results.

On a more positive note, maybe the kitten will grow out of wanting to bring them inside once he matures - but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one!!!