how to stop/deter Kit from licking the furniture

roserivers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
we've accepted scratching but our Kit, the Burmese cat, is busy licking anything wooden, table, chairs, ornaments, and we are concerned that the varnish may be damaging, as well as the damage he is doing to our furniture and ornaments. That rough tongue could move concrete, I swear it would! We are careful about saying NO when he's licking and usually distract him with a toy but he will go straight back if we're not watchful. He's already damaged my daughter's  jewellery box by constantly licking one corner, usually when no one's in the house, of course.

Any advice?

got to say this is an awesome site, could have done with finding you ten months back, when these furbabies arrived.

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Things just taste so good sometimes...catnip toys to distract. Cats detest citrus you can pin some sliced lemon place in baggy pin

or leave in a dish. Depending on object can also make a very light citrus spray easy to wipe off.

If its just started perhaps could be diet related, stress you can type in search bar above for more suggestions.

Burmese are so gorgeous   We love pictures here! 

Last edited:

tiptopper

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a cat many years ago that was addicted to lace curtains. No matter what we tried the licking did not stop so we removed them. I understand this cannot be done with wood. We read about pica and how the cat may be missing something from their diet but never found about what "that" ingredient was. Hopefully someone else can help you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

roserivers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you! He's been doing this since he arrived with us 10 months ago. He has a varied diet, I make sure they get both fish and meat as wet food and a variety of flavours for biscuits in between, as well as the occasional treats. They have catnip toys, a wonderful Catsite person suggested valerian, that's my next move. Sometimes he needs calming down!  Will definitely try the citrus spray

I posted a pic or two in the gallery and intend bringing the camera home from work (mine broke! and I don't have one on my phone - which I never use) and taking a lot of pictures of my darling furbabies.