How to stop clay litter from sticking to the litter box?

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been using clay litters for cinnamon since he came inside and is in the bathroom because he seems to prefer that so the worlds best cat litter. First I used an old one I had left over in the garage which was a really cheap one and it was so bad that it was sticking to the pan and sticking to the scoop and I was getting so frustrated.

it felt like I was scooping cement blocks too.

bought the BJ’s brand of clay litter clumping a huge 40 pound box of it and it’s not much better than the one I was using only minimally. So they said they will refund me for it and tonight I bought the arm and hammer double duty maybe I think?

i’m just wondering what I can do if I can put something on the pan to stop it from sticking so badly otherwise I don’t know what I’m gonna do it because I’m not sure if he will reject only the worlds best cat litter. He has one box with the clay litter and one box with the worlds best cat litter.

for this when he first came inside he was peeing on his bed and all over the floor and pooping out of the box so I’m worried and I don’t want that to start happening again.

I read online that you can spray non stick cooking spray the box and some baking soda but I don’t have any Pam and I’m wondering if there’s some other oil I could wipe it with or maybe coconut oil?

I am using a stainless steel pan by the way I’ve never had this issue with this box before. That I recall anyway. I bought a very large plastic box that someone recommended here which Fred and the other guys use when thry come in in the other part of that room and it’s working very well. I’ve been thinking of buying another one for cinnamon but it won’t fit in the bathroom where he is right now and I’m wondering if that would work better with the clay litter?

I hope the arm and Hammer litter is better otherwise I’m gonna start going crazy 😵💫

any ideas?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I have been using clay litters for cinnamon since he came inside and is in the bathroom because he seems to prefer that so the worlds best cat litter. First I used an old one I had left over in the garage which was a really cheap one and it was so bad that it was sticking to the pan and sticking to the scoop and I was getting so frustrated.

it felt like I was scooping cement blocks too.
Been there done that with my boy's litter. In order to avoid that, the litter has to be at least 4 inches deep but if Cinnamon pees a lot at one go, it may not be deep enough after all the digging before peeing which makes the litter shallower. Same goes if Cinnamon is a corner pee-er.

I finally switch my boy over to Tofu Cat Litter and now scooping pee is a breeze. You can check out my thread on my boy's transition over to Tofu cat Litter from Clay Litter here :- A Documentation on the Transition from Clay Litter to Tofu Cat Litter for my boy

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ I mix a few cups of pine pellets and silica crystals in TidyCat clumping litter . Absorbs moisture and odor . 😽

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Been there done that with my boy's litter. In order to avoid that, the litter has to be at least 4 inches deep but if Cinnamon pees a lot at one go, it may not be deep enough after all the digging before peeing which makes the litter shallower. Same goes if Cinnamon is a corner pee-er.

I finally switch my boy over to Tofu Cat Litter and now scooping pee is a breeze. You can check out my thread on my boy's transition over to Tofu cat Litter from Clay Litter here :- A Documentation on the Transition from Clay Litter to Tofu Cat Litter for my boy
Thanks I am reading your post. The first litter I used for him was wbcl, which he rejected using or the box etc. for 2-3 days. I think that was out of the fear of being inside maybe I’m not sure. After he started using the boxes once he did poop and not coverage I think from territorial stress maybe because Quinn came in and was doing something bad and got reprimanded- I can’t remember what happened now.

I’m worried about that because he was peeing and pooping all over the floor at first and my other cat who used to do that, beloved Sybil, also never covered her poop and she would only poop in one box and pee only on wee pads or paper in another one. But she had a lifelong p issue peeing outside the box too. My former Dvm told me the cats that don’t cover their poop tend to have p problems and it’s often due to territorial issues.

Cinnamon will poop and P in one of them, but he seems to like to alternate between the two boxes and I’m not sure why. He preferred the clay maybe, but now he is using both.

I will try that technique of adding the new litter if I try to switch him to one only. I also have some Sustainably Yours left over from last year that I was using which they would use as well, not Cinn, he has never seen that one, Quinn really liked that one.

However Quinn is not fussy and will use almost anything except now after Merlin came in and he rejected his cat genie which has plastic litter and which is like a toilet bowl. Because of his dominance he insists on using the other cats litter boxes and Merlin would never use the cat genie.

I was afraid to take away the other litter so they would use the Cat Genie which is what I did with my Wizard who I bought it for and for Quinn to get him to use it.

It was so much easier because I didn’t have to scoop any pee- I did scoop the poop though and just flushed it down the toilet. With my back problems it is hard to scoop.

SY is really messy though, I got the larger pellets but it gets all over and it costs a fortune, I got some on sale last year when petco closed.

I’m wondering if I can switch them all to this new clay litter in time if it’s OK because it’s a lot cheaper than worlds best cat litter and with 5 houligans now I have to start thinking about that.

But I remember in the past the clay litters get all over the place and it drives me crazy. Actually all cat litter drives me crazy lol even the plastic one 😹 but I have never successfully managed to train my cats to use the human toilet bowl.

The arm n hammer also has a fragrance unfortunately. I have asthma and migraines so I try to avoid things like that but hopefully it won’t make me worse, it seems kind of mild. I should probably wear a mask when I scoop any of the litters but I don’t do that.

So far the double duty aah seems OK- it’s a lot thinner and lighter weight than the BJs brand and the other one. I put some baking soda on the bottom of the pan. He went in there to kind of push things around but he didn’t use it yet.
I will update 😀

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just use paper towels to wipe off any stuck litter residue on the side or bottom of the litter box. I also use Litter Box Wipes (40ct) - Petkin when it needs a better cleaning.
Do you do that when you’re cleaning the box or while they’re using it etc.? The problem with these first two clay litters is when he pees in it, it doesn’t form a real clump and it sticks to the bottom in a flat clump… it also leaves tons of broken off pieces in the box when I try to get it out, which is a real struggle of scraping it, it feels like trying to push around cement.

The arm and hammer feels better, it is lighter and smaller, but he hasn’t used it yet so I will see how that goes. I’m sure it’s going to get all over everything because it has such a small particles and it has a fragrance which I don’t care for, but I can see how it goes,

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I will try that technique if I try to switch him to one only.
The thing is not to rush through the process. Cats are fussy and if they reject certain stuffs, they would not return to it. It takes time for the process whether they adopt it or not but no harm trying.

I was worried that my boy will not make the change and that's why I had tow litterboxes, one with the clay and the other new litter, which of course he did not use it alt all even though his used pee clump is in it.
So I continued on the old litterbox and gradually did the conversion with lots of complains from my boy and eventually, he accepted the new litter.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
~ I mix a few cups of pine pellets and silica crystals in TidyCat clumping litter . Absorbs moisture and odor . 😽
Thanks. 😀 I can’t I use the pine pellets because they smell so strong and they make my asthma worse and trigger other allergies etc. I will look for the silica crystals, where can I get those?

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Arm n Hammer Slide Platinum..no odor, I can dump the pan and it just slides out with NOTHING stuck to the plastic box. Great clumping and very little dust.
I highly recommend.
ps..I have asthma also and it does not trigger it.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get some Pam, you need it for cooking too. I have found that the urine sticks when it is fresh and they dig clear to the bottom, so make sure it is 4 inches at least and scoop once a day. I use Scoop Away from Walmart and it is good at not sticking. I didn't like Armor, it didn't help with the smell.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Arm n Hammer Slide Platinum..no odor, I can dump the pan and it just slides out with NOTHING stuck to the plastic box. Great clumping and very little dust.
I highly recommend.
ps..I have asthma also and it does not trigger it.
Thanks. Next time I will spend the extra money and try that one maybe it will be worth it. 😀 I think there was a coupon on that one too so I could just buy some now and see how it goes- at BJ’s they let you return everything lol.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get some Pam, you need it for cooking too. I have found that the urine sticks when it is fresh and they dig clear to the bottom, so make sure it is 4 inches at least and scoop once a day. I use Scoop Away from Walmart and it is good at not sticking. I didn't like Armor, it didn't help with the smell.
I have not seen scoop away for some reason that is odd because I shop at Walmart a lot. With five cats I am scooping like five times a day with several boxes! It has taken over my life 🙀

because they are so fussy I have to make sure that I scoop all the time. I have boxes upstairs & downstairs and now for Cinn in the bathroom too, it’s getting crazy.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you do that when you’re cleaning the box or while they’re using it etc.? The problem with these first two clay litters is when he pees in it, it doesn’t form a real clump and it sticks to the bottom in a flat clump… it also leaves tons of broken off pieces in the box when I try to get it out, which is a real struggle of scraping it, it feels like trying to push around cement.

The arm and hammer feels better, it is lighter and smaller, but he hasn’t used it yet so I will see how that goes. I’m sure it’s going to get all over everything because it has such a small particles and it has a fragrance which I don’t care for, but I can see how it goes,
I do that when I'm cleaning out the "clumps". Ruby's a "side of the box" pee-er, so I almost never can just scoop out the clump. Sometimes I can scrap it off the side with the scoop, but mostly I do the paper towel removal method. It's not too bad when it's on the side of the litter box, but the flattened clump on the bottom of the box is extra annoying. Keeping a really deep amount of litter in the box helps, but of course, cats dig, so there's no guarantee that litter won't be moved around.

Do you have a high sided litter box? That will enable you to keep a deeper level of litter, which might prevent the pee from getting to the bottom of the litter box. Also, don't try to scoop as soon as they've peed, as I find it takes a little time for the pee clump to solidify.

I use Arm and Hammer litter, and have used both Double Duty and Multi cat, and though they're very similar, I prefer Double Duty. Seems a little less fragrant, and might clump a bit better.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do that when I'm cleaning out the "clumps". Ruby's a "side of the box" pee-er, so I almost never can just scoop out the clump. Sometimes I can scrap it off the side with the scoop, but mostly I do the paper towel removal method. It's not too bad when it's on the side of the litter box, but the flattened clump on the bottom of the box is extra annoying. Keeping a really deep amount of litter in the box helps, but of course, cats dig, so there's no guarantee that litter won't be moved around.

Do you have a high sided litter box? That will enable you to keep a deeper level of litter, which might prevent the pee from getting to the bottom of the litter box. Also, don't try to scoop as soon as they've peed, as I find it takes a little time for the pee clump to solidify.

I use Arm and Hammer litter, and have used both Double Duty and Multi cat, and though they're very similar, I prefer Double Duty. Seems a little less fragrant, and might clump a bit better.
Thanks 😀 wow that seems awful about the side scraping … not sure I could handle that. I really think something was wrong with these last two clay litters and I’m hoping the arm and hammer is going to be better.

I don’t have any problem scooping when he pees in the worlds best cat litter- it does get a little bit stuck on the bottom but its not a struggle to get it out. I’ll usually try to scoop as soon as possible because if I wait too long then the cats start rejecting the litter box and go on the wee pad outside.

I know it’s better to wait for it to clump longer however it’s a balance between these two objectives.

But with cinnamon I was not scooping it right away, so it should’ve had plenty of time to clump, so, something has to be wrong with those first two litters I tried or they are just really awful or there was not enough in there. Cinnamon is not peeing a huge amount each time he goes, however with those first two litters it’s almost like the urine just sinks to the bottom and goes into a flat clump which turns into a cement but which is still wet….which I’m desperately trying to scrape out of there somehow and it all sticks to the scoop and also leaves little wet clumpettes in the box everywhere!

As I said, I have found lately things seem to stay cleaner if I don’t put as much litter in, so I have been trying that.

I’m fine with worlds best cat litter if I put less litter in and scoop more frequently- the box stays a lot cleaner.

I noticed overtime the litter starts to get an odor and then you have to change the whole box out which wastes a lot of the litter.

I think part of the problem may be that I’m using two smaller litter boxes while he is adjusting to being inside in the small bathroom. I haven’t measured how much I put in but I’m not putting a lot of in maybe 3-4 “ at most, because I find when I have more litter in it’s much harder to find anything to scoop in there and it starts to absorb odors over time etc.

In the main bedroom I have a very large plastic box, with taller sides which is really great which somebody recommended here a while back.

I put more in that one but I try not to put too much in with the worlds best cat litter because it just makes it harder to manage and things get yucky fast. And Fred’s poop and pee is impossible to find in there with too much litter 😹

Clearly the clay is very different and I’m going to have to get used to that again if he won’t use anything but the clay But he is using wbcl now too. He seems to go in there and just dig things around and sometimes doesn’t go at all which is odd.

I was thinking maybe to switch my guys to the arm and hammer clay if it works out, because it’s pretty lightweight. I will see how it goes.

Who would’ve thought cat litter and everything with scooping could be such a nightmare, lol, it can be especially with this many cats.

Last edited:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Anything with a clumping agent will stick to the box.

Anything you add, like baking soda to stop it from sticking creates more dust that can put (especially a male) cat's health at risk. Dust can contribute or cause urinary plugs or blockages.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anything with a clumping agent will stick to the box.

Anything you add, like baking soda to stop it from sticking creates more dust that can put (especially a male) cat's health at risk. Dust can contribute or cause urinary plugs or blockages.
I have never had this issue of sticking or this wet cement terrible sticking except with certain clay litters. It seems like they turn into cement but they are still wet and it’s impossible to get them out of there.

I remember this happening in the past too maybe but it’s only with certain clays litters and especially in the older litter robot which was awful.

All litters that I have used to have a certain amount of dust unfortunately except the plastic one in the cat genie. None of my guys have ever had any problems with urinary blockages fortunately caused by anything. I hope the clay dust will not be an issue. With the plastic litter in the cat genie there was no dust, that was really the best for us.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have never had this issue of sticking or this wet cement terrible sticking except with certain clay litters. It seems like they turn into cement but they are still wet and it’s impossible to get them out of there.

I remember this happening in the past too maybe but it’s only with certain clays litters and especially in the older litter robot which was awful.

All litters that I have used to have a certain amount of dust unfortunately except the plastic one in the cat genie. None of my guys have ever had any problems with urinary blockages fortunately caused by anything. I hope the clay dust will not be an issue. With the plastic litter in the cat genie there was no dust, that was really the best for us.
Some litters as the grains rub together will cause dust, but the clumping agent is always a dust as it is a fine powder.

It's why for many cats with chronic urinary issues, you have to use a non-clumping litter.

Paper litters tend to be the least dusty mostly because they don't have clumping agents added.

It could be worse with certain clay litters as they use different clumping agents or more clumping agents, or the litter doesn't absorb quickly so the clumping agent sticks or to the bottom (I had this happen with a type of wood litter I tried).

There is no dust for the Okocat paper litter. My athsma is not triggered by it as a result and even Calcifer's coat isn't all full of dust. (Black cats are such good dust cleaners unfortunately! 😂)

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I forgot to add, as it comes in a box rather than a bag like Yesterday's News, I think that helps to prevent so much rubbing together that creates dust too.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some litters as the grains rub together will cause dust, but the clumping agent is always a dust as it is a fine powder.

It's why for many cats with chronic urinary issues, you have to use a non-clumping litter.

Paper litters tend to be the least dusty mostly because they don't have clumping agents added.

It could be worse with certain clay litters as they use different clumping agents or more clumping agents, or the litter doesn't absorb quickly so the clumping agent sticks or to the bottom (I had this happen with a type of wood litter I tried).

There is no dust for the Okocat paper litter. My athsma is not triggered by it as a result and even Calcifer's coat isn't all full of dust. (Black cats are such good dust cleaners unfortunately! 😂)
That is odd. I used okocat for Quinn when he was a kitten and it made my asthma a lot worse so I stopped using it plus it was so light and fluffy it got all over the place and drove me crazy 😹

Best cat litter is not that great for my asthma either I don’t know there’s something in it that really irritates me. I’m actually allergic to Clay and it makes my eyes puff etc. but so far I don’t seem to be reacting yet to it.

I think that must be what happened with these first two clay litters was that whatever they put in there to clump it it just sank to the bottom and stuck there like wet cement, such a mess, ugh. It also just wasn't really clumping properly at all.

I found Sustainably Yours also will go to the bottom sometimes and had to be scraped a little but it wasn’t really that bad compared to this.

Fred has the best poop and pee but it’s hard to find in wbcl. Small well clumped pees and small poops well formed that don’t smell too bad.

Last edited:

cejhome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use Dr. Elsey's Respiratory Relief clay litter. I tried WBCL years ago and ended up with little bugs from it (moths). Took forever to get rid of them all. I clean the box several times a day - our cat Buddy, prefers his super large box over the two smaller ones (that are still big). For a scoop I use a large slotted spoon. Solid metal with fairly small holes. Its nice and solid, does not flex and easy to clean. I also have a small cheap metal spatula - solid thin metal to use when he does pee on the side. It scrapes off the stuck kitty litter easily. The Dr. Elsey's is heavy enough that the pee does not have time to sink to the bottom and it does form nice easy to scoop balls. I fill it with about 3 inches of litter - you have to have a deep enough layer of litter to keep the pee from getting to the bottom. Of course if your kitty loves to dig and dig to the bottom before he pees, then no matter how much litter you put in, it won't help. It isn't dust free, but if I change the box out 100% every few weeks, it keeps the dust to a minimum. Its not too dusty out of the box, but with use it does break down eventually into smaller pieces and that does get dusty. Cleaning it 100% out often enough keeps this from happening. I find if I use a too light weight litter, Buddy tracks it more. I am about to try one of those litter mats with the holes in it to see if that will help with the tracking. I'd love to be able to cut down on my daily vacuuming a bit. All of Buddy's litter boxes are made from big storage bins that I cut (sanded the edges) a door into. They are cheap, very high sided and big enough for a big kitty to use.

I have a friend that tried Okocat. It made her allergies a lot worse, and one of her kitties also developed respiratory allergies/issues from it. She tried a few other things - wood, paper, etc. and none of them worked for her. She is back to Dr. Elsey's.