How to stop clay litter from sticking to the litter box?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
It’s designed to let all of the litter fall out easily and only holds the clump so not that great for smaller pieces so it’s just really annoying.
That’s right. It’s good for big clumps but sucks for smaller clumps and that’s why I use a spoon at the end to pick out all the smaller pieces that fall through the holes n spent a lot of time picking them up. I’m glad that ill done with that.
Unless you use a spade type scoop and scoop out the whole chunk but it’s going to be difficult and heavy and lots of wastage.

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have 3 cats & typically have 2 boxes. I get the plastic storage bins at walmart, they're at least 2' wide by about 12" deep. I put litter into it at least half way up (yes it's like 2 or 3 boxes to start off with). The only time I have an issue with litter sticking to the bin is when the litter is low, the pee clumps sink down. Otherwise it's a breeze. I just stand over it, grab one of the sides & tilt until everything falls to one side, then I take my scooper & scoop out the chunks. I've tried putting a trash bag in the box before but if the litter gets too low, it will stick to that.

I was using A&H Super Scoop for years, at least 18. It used to be great, no dust, no smell, good clumps. I don't know what they changed about it, but when my black cat came out covered in a thin layer of dust, I started shopping around for a different brand. I have tried so many brands I made a spreadsheet. And yes clay will turn into cement, it's heavy but absorbs the pee & odor (or it should). I used to add baking soda into the litter until I read that it's not good for cats.

My suggestion is, if he's had a problem with peeing outside the box & you can use a litter that he doesn't mind, I would stick with it. The less accidents the better. I don't know how many cats total you have but the rule I've always heard was 1 box for each cat & place in different parts of the house.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 3 cats & typically have 2 boxes. I get the plastic storage bins at walmart, they're at least 2' wide by about 12" deep. I put litter into it at least half way up (yes it's like 2 or 3 boxes to start off with). The only time I have an issue with litter sticking to the bin is when the litter is low, the pee clumps sink down. Otherwise it's a breeze. I just stand over it, grab one of the sides & tilt until everything falls to one side, then I take my scooper & scoop out the chunks. I've tried putting a trash bag in the box before but if the litter gets too low, it will stick to that.

I was using A&H Super Scoop for years, at least 18. It used to be great, no dust, no smell, good clumps. I don't know what they changed about it, but when my black cat came out covered in a thin layer of dust, I started shopping around for a different brand. I have tried so many brands I made a spreadsheet. And yes clay will turn into cement, it's heavy but absorbs the pee & odor (or it should). I used to add baking soda into the litter until I read that it's not good for cats.

My suggestion is, if he's had a problem with peeing outside the box & you can use a litter that he doesn't mind, I would stick with it. The less accidents the better. I don't know how many cats total you have but the rule I've always heard was 1 box for each cat & place in different parts of the house.
We have 5 now. They are all going through a very slow intro to him and his bff, they came in from outside 6 months apart. He has not peed outside the box again tg and I hope it continues.

my pan with the clay is metal, the other is plastic. He has two smaller boxes in the bathroom and there is a large one, huge, in the bedroom which he may also have been using now with wbcl. I am not sure I can manage the clay long term because it is giving me back spasms. The light one is a lot more expensive, but so is wbcl. Clay is just awful. It never seems to dry really and is sticking allover the new metal scoop I got to. When it clumps its ok but its not reliable at all. That is great the ah used to work for you. I wish I could get them all to use the toilet, lol.
He will use the wbcl but it seems he prefers the clay which is not good. The only good point for me is it’s cheaper.

I have several boxes all over the house- 6 total.