How To Stop Cat From Peeing On The Bed/floor

datalink7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

First time cat owner here, so I don't have a lot of experience with cat training/changing behavior. If this was a dog I feel like I'd have had it solved.

Anyway, about 3 weeks ago my cat got a UTI/kidney stone. When passing out the stone, it tore a hold in his urethra. Found this out when the vet tried to put a catheter in, couldn't find urine, and then took an xray and found the catheter was exiting out of the urethra before it got to the bladder and into his body cavity.

Poor guy was in a lot of pain. He'd get these spasms and pee wherever he was. This ended up being on the bed a lot.

Anyway, it has been three weeks. He is a LOT better now. Last week he started going in his litter box again, though still not full sized pee clumps. Many times, he'll go pee in the box, and then 15 minutes later he will be peeing again on the bed or floor. At first it was because of his spasms, but I feel it has started to develop into a habit.

He isn't 100% better and so maybe he'll stop when he fully heals, but I'm worried. What should I be doing? I've been using heavy chemical enzyme cat odor cleaners but they don't seem to be stopping him. Put heavier blankets on the bed so it doesn't soak to the bed so easily but my room constantly smells of pee.

Any helps is greatly appreciated.

Also, he is still pretty young (10 months old) if that information is helpful.

Thanks!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey. Very glad you wrote in. This does need to be addressed. You came to the right place for help. I’m so sorry you and your kitty have had such a hard time! :alright:
You can buy plastic mattress covers that are more easily cleaned and they are not expensive. You may want to put a sheet of plastic or even a tarp over your covers too for now. An old towel on top of it or even a litter box there for a short time. The whole cover and all can be shifted to the floor as he heals.
Very important.
Call the vet. Tell them he is still having these issues. It spounds like he needs to be rechecked. Most cats that show they are having UTI problems do it by peeing outside the litter box.
Did the vet say how long for the urethra to heal? Why it was torn? A UTI can be persistent at times so he may need to have his urine rechecked. You can get a urine sample by using the decorative glass pebbles that are sold for floral decorating. You put them in a clean litter box and no litter. Hopefully he will pee there and you can then put the urine in a sterile container for checking. See if this is acceptable to your vet before attempting but it might save kitty from another catheter. If he has a tear there I would hate for him to have to go through that again.You don’t say if he had antibiotics. Guessing he might need more. Since he is willing to use his litter box, and if you make sure it is scooped often, then I feel his problem stems from something besides scent or habit. I would definitely call a vet.
I’m glad you came on site. Welcome and please let us know how your kitty is doing!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

datalink7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply.

He just took his last antibiotic tonight. He was also on a pain medication for about 10 days and a muscle relaxer for about 20 (I may pick up more of this last one as it seemed to help him... it just ran out over the weekend).

The vet isn't entirely sure why it was torn. However, he did pass a lot of crystals and maybe a kidney stone or something (I saw them in the pee when he peed on the bathroom floor) and he thinks maybe they tore a hole. Then when he did the catheter it may have enlarged and irritated the hole. He was pretty optimistic that it would heal on its own, but worried an infection may develop at the same time.

I'll call him to see what he thinks. I'll ask him about the idea for collecting the urine sample through the glass pebbles.

The other unfortunate thing is that my dog was dumb and swallowed a sock three weeks ago (literally at the same time... worst timing possible) and had to go into emergency surgery because it got stuck in his gut. $5.5k. So I'm a bit low on funds at the moment.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry, though, about the situation that brought you here. Jcatbird Jcatbird offered you good suggestions, so not sure if there's anything I can add, other than maybe putting out another litter box or 2, maybe even in the bedroom, and seeing if that might help.

Sending healing vibes for both your kitty and your dog. :vibes::vibes::vibes:

MeowHiss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Could it be that your cat doesn't like the litter or the box? I'm thinking that the old one makes him think that it's painful to use it. If he gets a clean bill of health from the vet, I might try a brand new litter box with different litter.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

datalink7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wouldn't think so (he'd used the same box and litter for 6 months without issue) but perhaps that might be the case. Maybe it's like if you get food poisoning; all of a sudden you can no longer eat that food anymore. So maybe he got sick and going in there is no longer appealing because he associates it with the sickness.

But then again, it isn't like he stopped using it. He still goes pee in there. He just also pees on the bed.

Made an appointment to take him into the vet this Friday for a checkup. Also found a lump on his back that I'd never felt before (when it rains it pours I guess). Hoping he just fell and it is a hematoma and not something else.

Appreciate the responses.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe it's like if you get food poisoning; all of a sudden you can no longer eat that food anymore. So maybe he got sick and going in there is no longer appealing because he associates it with the sickness.
Yes, that's exactly what happens. They associate the litter box with the pain or discomfort they felt. That's why putting another litter box in a different area, possibly with different litter, might help.

Sending more healing vibes that the lump isn't anything concerning.
:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: