How to stop cat from going upstairs

Ragdoll.Princess

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know some people don’t mind, but my son is asthmatic and before we only stayed at my partners a couple of nights a week, he lets the cat roam about and sleep on pillows next to his head I don’t like it. An we now live there is there anyway of stopping her coming up the stairs?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Unfortunately if the cat is used to sleeping upstairs with your partner, in my opinion, it would be unfair to suddenly prevent her from what she is accustomed to doing. Cats are very territorial so this could have a negative effect and cause potential problems, e.g. not using the litter box, meowing and keeping you up at night, etc. I understand your son has asthma but since you said the cat roams the house your son would be exposed to the cat regardless if she was in the bedroom or another room of the house. Therefore, it might be advantageous for you to speak with your son's allergist or the appropriate doctor who treats his asthma. I hope you find a satisfactory solution for your partner, your son and the kitty. :crossfingers:

ETA: I thought this thread about not allowing a cat in the bedroom might have some helpful tips for you:
Cat in the bedroom?

Last edited:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Agree, it would be hard to stop the cat. l would add a air purifier to your son’s room and of course keep his door shut day and night. He can also be tested for cat allergies and if he has them receive medical treatment to reduce his allergic reaction.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ragdoll.Princess

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately if the cat is used to sleeping upstairs with your partner, in my opinion, it would be unfair to suddenly prevent her from what she is accustomed to doing. Cats are very territorial so this could have a negative effect and cause potential problems, e.g. not using the litter box, meowing and keeping you up at night, etc. I understand your son has asthma but since you said the cat roams the house your son would be exposed to the cat regardless if she was in the bedroom or another room of the house. Therefore, it might be advantageous for you to speak with your son's allergist or the appropriate doctor who treats his asthma. I hope you find a satisfactory solution for your partner, your son and the kitty. :crossfingers:

ETA: I thought this thread about not allowing a cat in the bedroom might have some helpful tips for you:
Cat in the bedroom?
Thank you for that information, he has seems fine with her now very odd no breathing problems

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ragdoll.Princess

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Agree, it would be hard to stop the cat. l would add a air purifier to your son’s room and of course keep his door shut day and night. He can also be tested for cat allergies and if he has them receive medical treatment to reduce his allergic reaction.
[/QUOTE
Much appreciated x