How to stop a cat from kneading?

dogperson2cats

Dog person but has cats for some reason
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was torn between 'cat health' and 'cat behavior' so if this isn't right, forgive me.

Ok so my mom HATES when her cat kneads her. With a fiery passion. We're talking screaming obscenities at him for doing it, refusing to give him any attention, ect. (For some unknown reason, said cat is obsessed with her and is never more than 2 feet away.)

Declawing cats is against the law here unless it's for a medical reason. (A local cat rescue got a cat that had it's paws badly burnt due to hot pavement and it was so bad that they had to amputate toes and declaw the remaining because the skin was being torn open by them.) BUT the vet WILL do it if you pay *read bribe* him enough to do it.

My mother called for a price and is saying that unless he stops kneading her, she's getting him declawed. It gets worse, though...

We refuse to have solid indoor cats; our cats do their business and spend most days and many nights exploring our yard and doing cat stuff; especially when the weather is this nice. They come in to eat or catch some Z's but then they're back at the door to go out. There's also a huge stray and feral population in my area; most of which are Toms that love to target my female cat. (She's spayed, no worries. And has blinded a few males in her time.) Moms cat is 20 pound male who pretty well defends her. So he needs his claws.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To be honest, it doesn't sound like your mom should have any cats.

Declawing is out of the question. Aside from being torture for the cat, it can also cause them to stop using the litter box because their paws hurt on the litter, and they might start biting because they feel defenseless. I've known shelter cats that were declawed but had a hard time getting adopted because they had these behavior issues.

Trimming claws regularly is an easy and healthy way to blunt those sharp talons. But if your cat needs those sharp claws to be safe outside, they definitely should not be outside.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Declawing is illegal in more and more places because it's animal mutilation. I think if your mom is serious about mutilating her cat she should look to rehome him, or if you can take the cat away from her before she does something bad to him. Kneading is a soothing behavior, as well as they have scent glands in their paws, they do it on people because they love them and are claiming them. Your mom can try to redirect him and to try to get him to go away, like if the cat jumps on them stand up or put the cat down on the floor, but ultimately if they hate the cat so much they should rehome it with someone that actually wants it.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
If the issue is that he sticks her with his claws when he kneads, a better solution is to have a thick piece of blanket that she can direct him to and protect herself with. If it’s just that she hates the feel of kneading, then she should just be putting him down when he does it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dogperson2cats

Adult Cat
Purraise
To be honest, it doesn't sound like your mom should have any cats.

Declawing is out of the question. Aside from being torture for the cat, it can also cause them to stop using the litter box because their paws hurt on the litter, and they might start biting because they feel defenseless. I've known shelter cats that were declawed but had a hard time getting adopted because they had these behavior issues.

Trimming claws regularly is an easy and healthy way to blunt those sharp talons. But if your cat needs those sharp claws to be safe outside, they definitely should not be outside.

I agree entirely. I personally dislike cats. They're cute and I love mine but they don't hit me as 'family' pets or 'companion' animals. They're just...furry asshole roommates that pay rent with purrs and head boops.

I've explained that to her several times but she says I'm a 'stupid hippy dyke' and should butt out. I've met people who had their cats declawed, all their teeth pulled AND used shock collars that kept their cats outside 24/7 in fenced in yards and while those cats lived many years, they were miserable. (I was like 8 so couldn't do anything. I was just happy to meet a cat that didn't bother me.) But she sees that as 'ideal'.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree entirely. I personally dislike cats. They're cute and I love mine but they don't hit me as 'family' pets or 'companion' animals. They're just...furry asshole roommates that pay rent with purrs and head boops.

I've explained that to her several times but she says I'm a 'stupid hippy dyke' and should butt out. I've met people who had their cats declawed, all their teeth pulled AND used shock collars that kept their cats outside 24/7 in fenced in yards and while those cats lived many years, they were miserable. (I was like 8 so couldn't do anything. I was just happy to meet a cat that didn't bother me.) But she sees that as 'ideal'.
I'm just going to say it-your mom doesn't sound like a nice person at all. She has no business treating cats (or you, for that matter) like that.

dogperson2cats

Adult Cat
Purraise
Declawing is illegal in more and more places because it's animal mutilation. I think if your mom is serious about mutilating her cat she should look to rehome him, or if you can take the cat away from her before she does something bad to him. Kneading is a soothing behavior, as well as they have scent glands in their paws, they do it on people because they love them and are claiming them. Your mom can try to redirect him and to try to get him to go away, like if the cat jumps on them stand up or put the cat down on the floor, but ultimately if they hate the cat so much they should rehome it with someone that actually wants it.

Kicker: She adopted him less than a year ago; paid the crazy-ass fees and vet bills, too. Fell in love with him and to see her with him, it's like star-crossed lovers. But kneading is a huge "NO" for her; she says they don't have to do it; that none of her other cats ever did that. It's a huge kerfuffle every time. (Though at this point I think he should be like "She screams and neglects me when I do it so I should stop." I mean he used to jump onto our stove and we'd always stop him and then one night, he jumped up, got a mild burn, and never did it again. So clearly he knows not to do things.)

Oh and he refuses to knead or cuddle anybody but her. (But will love anybody who feeds him...he fat.)

dogperson2cats

Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm just going to say it-your mom doesn't sound like a nice person at all. She has no business treating cats (or you, for that matter) like that.
Thank you; people my whole life have said that but nothing's changed.

Also I am stuck with her because even if I COULD find a place of my own, if I leave my cat (10YO the size of a young cat) she will have her PTS. And very few places allow pets in my area.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
You could suggest claw caps. They are blunt shields that are glued to the claws. A vet can teach your mom, or you, to apply them in about 3 minutes. He'll still knead, but it won't hurt at all. And if her former cats didn't knead, it means that they were unhappy cats.
Happy cats and content cats knead..exactly:agree:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've got a big time kneeder, and he sometimes drools when doing it. He loves my lap, but if I'm wearing boxers, well I tell my wife "he is trying to give me a paw job again and ... just no!" So while your mom sounds like an *&!, I do 100% get wishing their was a way to stop it. Unfortunately, there really isn't. Just put the blanket beside you, and pet him while he kneeds next to you but not on you. That sort of thing is about all that can be done. Basically, its like trying to train a cat not to purr. Maybe you could, but the price would be barbaric.

I doubt declawing would stop kneeding anyways. Just the claw part of it. The reflexive motion would likely continue once the paws heale.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! Read that article! It's good!

Basically, kneading is a neotenous behavior. (Carried over from when they were babies/kittens.)
Cats do it, when they are born, to get milk from their mothers. Many cat behaviorists believe that adult cats do it as a throwback to when they were young because they feel comfortable repeating the behavior. They got milk when they did it as a kitten and the behavior was reinforced.

Some people might say that a cat loves you when they make biscuits on you. I do think that's true but you can also look at it from a lower level...

A cat that kneads on a human sees that human as a mother figure, of sorts, and looks up to the human for comfort and protection.

If the owner declaws the cat, they are basically cutting off that relationship at the roots.

Just get a fuzzy, faux fur, throw pillow and keep it handy, in the place where the cat comes to make biscuits on you.

When the cat comes up and starts making biscuits, just gently put the pillow between the cat and yourself. Let the cat knead the pillow.

Pet the cat and all that jazz... just let it do its thing... just not on you.

dogperson2cats

Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes! Read that article! It's good!

Basically, kneading is a neotenous behavior. (Carried over from when they were babies/kittens.)
Cats do it, when they are born, to get milk from their mothers. Many cat behaviorists believe that adult cats do it as a throwback to when they were young because they feel comfortable repeating the behavior. They got milk when they did it as a kitten and the behavior was reinforced.

Some people might say that a cat loves you when they make biscuits on you. I do think that's true but you can also look at it from a lower level...

A cat that kneads on a human sees that human as a mother figure, of sorts, and looks up to the human for comfort and protection.

If the owner declaws the cat, they are basically cutting off that relationship at the roots.

Just get a fuzzy, faux fur, throw pillow and keep it handy, in the place where the cat comes to make biscuits on you.

When the cat comes up and starts making biscuits, just gently put the pillow between the cat and yourself. Let the cat knead the pillow.

Pet the cat and all that jazz... just let it do its thing... just not on you.

She's tried all that and the cat pushes it away to knead her specifically. He will not do that to anything or one besides her and she HATES it. Currently every time he jumps up on her, she pushes him down and yells at him to F off. He loves everybody but only kneads her.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've got a big time kneeder, and he sometimes drools when doing it. He loves my lap, but if I'm wearing boxers, well I tell my wife "he is trying to give me a paw job again and ... just no!" So while your mom sounds like an *&!, I do 100% get wishing their was a way to stop it. Unfortunately, there really isn't. Just put the blanket beside you, and pet him while he kneeds next to you but not on you. That sort of thing is about all that can be done. Basically, its like trying to train a cat not to purr. Maybe you could, but the price would be barbaric.

I doubt declawing would stop kneeding anyways. Just the claw part of it. The reflexive motion would likely continue once the paws heale.
My oldest son was horrified the first time our male kitten started kneading him there. He looked at me and said, "Uh Mom. I need some help here!!" :lol:

dogperson2cats

Adult Cat
Purraise
Your mom needs to rehome this cat. Horrific treatment of this poor baby.

She adopted him roughly a year ago and this family doesn't believe in rehoming. I personally do but the shelters and rescues shame you so heavily for it.

Yes even if the home you're trying to remove them from is abusive or the owner is homeless. Source: I once packed my things and intended on being homeless just to escape my family and I made the choice to give my precious tortie to a shelter because I knew the streets would kill her and if I left her, my mom would have her PTS. They told me I was a horrible owner, that pets are forever, and if I am choosing a life not fit for her, maybe I should stay in my current situation. I stayed. Things got a little better but I know the only way I am gonna get along with my family or have any life is if I am far away. But nowhere allows cats unless they're declawed and yard bound.)

My tortie is 8 years old and honestly lucky I love her because she's a massive bitch who never lets me sleep and finding a food she likes counts as one of the trials of Hercules. She's sat on my shoulder making biscuits as I type this because 'She fitted so she sitted'. Yes it hurts a lot. No I don't like it. But she's happy so I allow it.

I think if this cat was to be removed, he would just fight to come back to her or die of a broken heart. He is never more than a couple feet away from her. Crazy as it seems, he is happy here. With her.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Are there shelters that foster? Houston has things like Houston area cats and kittens where people post that need help. Rescues that foster respond

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry but your mum clearly should not have cats!! To even consider declawing a cat is absolutely disgusting 😡 That cat is showing her affection and she wants to cut its bloody toes off for doing so.
Thankfully declawing is illegal here in the UK and rightly so, should be made illegal everywhere!!
If you don't like cat claws, don't get a cat Simple as.