How to socialize two older feral (timid) kittens?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
He doesn't run to hide as much anymore, but I can't ever approach him without making him nervours.
Wonderful progress.

:clap::clap::clap:

Cats don't like it when you approach them directly. Instead of walking straight up to him look about a meter to his left or right, walk slowly to that spot and then let him come to you. Keep your eyes softly focused and take lots of slow blinks. Keep talking to him softly. If you extend an arm in his direction make sure you keep your hand in a soft fist, rather than extending your fingers towards him.

If you watch how cats interact with each other you'll see that walking up to another cat directly usually means some kind of confrontation, either playful or serious. When they approach each other in calmer moments they usually walk past each other, pause, and then turn towards each other. That gives them both time to gauge how the other reacts to their presence. You have to try an mimic that behaviour.

Keep at it, you're doing a great job.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually found my cat Waffles didn't like the fist extended, he responded better to my index finger only extended. (I knew he wouldn't bite me.)
Whatever works for the individual cat.