How To Shelter Strays In Hurricane Country?? Barry Is Coming

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:help: I am trying to help a friend figure out how to best shelter 2 abandoned cats in MS. One is tame but skittish; the other one is a bit of a bully, possibly feral. Storm Barry is fast approaching and the cats need an outside shelter. The lady has a carport attached to the house but that is it. She is in a rural area with few to no resources for cats. Any suggestions?? :dunno: :headscratch:
Also, her yard has raccoons and skunks.:frustrated:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can she tie tarps up between trees? Lots of them. Putting a second tarp above the first. Also doing this on the carport. They act as elevated spaces above water and as hammocks for the cats to be on as well as being sheltered by the tarp above. Secure with lots of tie offs. The more tied places, the better. In strong winds this keeps the movement to a minimum. I also tied off aluminum ladders against sheltered spots. The cats can get up more easily. For ground level I put things that would float but tied to posts so they would not be carried off. Lots of length to the ropes so if water was high, the floats could rise with the water level. Styrofoam ice chests will float and are easy to find. I had a small dog house that I also secured up on blocks in an outbuilding but she could put it on her carport. The tarps can also be used as wind shields in front of the hammock tarps. I put some in tent form too. The tent form ones seemed to be the favored ones. Pup tent style. One tarp tied in triangle. Some above ground and some at ground level. Putting them near each other allows the cats to go up higher if they desire. Tarps are extremely easy to assemble into shelters in areas that already provide some stability. The carport will work. Each grommet should be tightly tied to avoid the wind causing movement or noise as it moved the material. I used four foot step ladders under tarps to add stability and climbing spots. I kept these in place year round for my ferals. These did withstand strong winds and rain. The water always rose here. Wishing and sending prayers for the cats and all in the path of Barry. Hoping it won’t be a strong storm.