How to quarter Benazepril tablet?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
155577340_813941392869032_7943760059262341834_n.jpg

I picked up Benazepril yesterday for Abby. The dosage is 1/4 of a tablet. I have a pill splitter but this was a huge struggle. Someone suggested that my pill splitter needs to be new so I've ordered a new one that will be arriving tomorrow.

Has anyone had success quartering these?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had to quarter my fair share of little pills. It's tedious. I don't know what to tell you other than I just made sure to push the pill as tightly to the end of the cutter as possible. I did find that after you get them cut in half, putting the cut side in, so the blade touches the cut side first as you bring the blade down...it tends to cut more smoothly and evenly.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does the other side of the pill have the line down the middle?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh and depending on the pill...sometimes I found that it was better to NOT push the blade all the way thru. If it's tight enough and has the pressure, it will sometimes "crack" in half so you get a clean split and don't end up with all the extra powder and little bits.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Some pills have a line down the middle which makes it easier to be scored. I noticed the pill for Abby does not have a line so it makes splitting it more difficult. Can you ask the vet for a lower dosage pill so you wouldn't have to score it? Otherwise you might find some helpful tips here: https://www.wellrx.com/news/pill-splitting-do-it-safely/

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have to split Feeby's thyroid pill as well. Tried everything I could think of, without much success. So, I now use scotch tape to secure the pill to a plate, eyeball the halfway mark, place a knife in that location, then place my fingers around the sides of the pill on the tape, kind of securing it in place but so that I can still see the pill, and then I cut it in half. And, then repeat the process for each half. It isn't perfect but it's a heck of a lot closer to being accurate than anything else I have tried.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for your suggestions, everyone! Abby had some issues and had to be taken off the med. I'll keep these in mind for next time though. :)