How to play with two cats?

leoandlexi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is the first time I've had two cats that like each other. They love to chase each other, cuddle, bathe each other, etc. The only problem is whenever the first cat we had, Leo, tries to play with a toy Lexi, our new cat, comes and plays as well and Leo loses interest and just goes somewhere to sit and watch. They definitely aren't hostile to each other in terms of playing with toys, Leo just doesn't seem to have an interested in them both playing with a toy. Even if I throw a second one Lexi leaves the previous toy and comes to play with that one. I thought of playing Leo in a bedroom but I feel as though locking Lexi out while he plays would be mean. What's the best way to get Leo some play time with toys?

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is a normal situation, but what I'd recommend is honestly the idea that you've already stated- just separating them for a short period of time and playing with Leo alone for a bit. If you are worried about it being unfair you can then give Lexi some one on one playtime too, which I bet she'd enjoy as well.  I honestly don't believe either cat is likely to be upset at being left alone for a brief time as you play with the other, especially if you leave out a few toys for them to play with on their own. If you really feel bad about it, do you maybe have a friend or family member who could play with one while you play with the other in a separate room?

Finally, I just want to say I wouldn't worry about this too much in general- since they do get along, he's probably getting a lot of good playtime in with Lexi which is probably filling a lot of his need for play :)

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats do this as well.  Sometimes both will sit and look at the toy.  I give some one on one time to Fluffy just before I turn in and lately Eclipse has been joining in.  Fluff waits until he is done and then has her play time.  Other times I will play with one and when they are tired turn the toy to the other cat.  I think they are just giving each other a chance to play.  I do take Eclipse out on a leash and harness for one on one time most days.  Fluffy is the one who interrupts his play time.

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In the wild, cats are solitary hunters. Much of their play with toys is "hunting practice" so they may not quite get the concept of playing with a toy together. They may engage in chasing each other and play fighting, but adding in a toy can be different.

Our two Bengals play chase and play fight all the time, but never chase the same toy. We have a pile of toys for them, but of course they only ever want whatever the other one is playing with

magister

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've the same problem with my three (in fact, I've been tempted a few times to start a thread on this subject).

Kîa and Nimrod were happy to take turns, although he was always the more playful with toys. Kîa had an unhealthy (for anybody unfortunate enough to be playing with her :D ) tendency to go for the wrong end of any interactive toy, even though I didn't encourage playing with hands. You had really to watch her, although she never meant harm, and otherwise was very gentle. Both were happy to take turns with interactive toys, and each was happy to sit and watch while the other played.

After she disappeared, Nimrod's play became at times almost desperate (manic); he'd spend hours searching for her, then come back, cry and just want sometimes to play until he was exhausted. At other times, he wasn't interested in anything at all. :(

Now that Rîna and Tällia are here, it's been extremely difficult to give him enough play-time without them taking over. Because Nimrod loves to pull any interactive toy all over the house and play tug-o'-war (almost like a dog), this encourages them to chase him as well as the toy. He no longer minds them chasing him (he was terrified of them at first), but once either of them grab a toy, he loses interest, and just sits and watches, seeming a little miserable.

I can lock them out and give him some play-time, but because he's running everywhere (including in front of windows where they can see him), this starts a lot of crying from them. And, of course, they don't understand why they can't join in. Locking them in a room inside (even with toys) is worse; both just want to be where we are, and play as well.

Unfortunately, I've not found a good solution; the two girls are happy to wait for each other and take it in turns, but Nimrod won't assert himself; he just wanders quietly away, tail a little down, once they start playing with a toy he wants, and won't play again for hours. Also, I suspect the fact both love to hiss and snarl at toys frightens him; he's never done that, and Kîa never did.

So, unfortunately, I've no idea what to suggest. I've tried to find some kind of multi-cat toy: something with a toy on each end. But such things appear not to exist. A pity.

Last edited: