How to move with a feral cat

Cwissinie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I plan to move from California to Michigan before summer, and although I would leave my black cat Mommy with someone who would love her and care for her, I don't see that happening. Mommy has been a feral in the large mobilehome park where I live for probably eight or nine years, and she's been "with" me for about the past four years. It took three friends and I to trap her -- not without horrific scratches to one person -- to get her to a pet place where she could get spayed, and although she's warmed up to me over the past four years to the point where I can pet her (sort of) and play with her (minimally) and have her actually sleep on my bed, I cannot pick her up. Since I don't imagine anyone would want to take her in, I wouldn't simply leave her behind, so I need to find a way to get her to Michigan. I can't envision being able to drive her across country (too many problems and issues because of her still being partially feral). I'm pretty sure that flying with her would mean a health certificate from a vet, and I can't get her to a vet, because I can't get her into a carrier. I'm almost at my wits' end. Is there anyone who might have information on a "carrier" that might drive pets across country? Or maybe someone knows of a no-kill shelter that would be willing to take her (I live in Carson CA)? Any suggestions or advice on how to move a semi-feral cat who won't be picked up would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Many vets will prescribe gabapentin that will make the cat somewhat sedated and easy to handle. I have used it many times on my feral cats ( that now live in my house) when I need to get them to the vet. Sometimes the dosage is tricky, but in most cases it works. You could also have a mobile vet come out to your home. Do a search on mobile vets in your area.

There are transport services available that will drive pets across country. This might work for you.

Thank you for taking her with you and not giving up on her. I moved ( just an hour away) almost 3 years ago with 3 feral cats. They had all been living outside on my property for many years. All had been neutered, but never lived inside. They have all adjusted to inside living and I can pet them, but I cannot handle them enough to get into carriers. I have used both a mobile vet and also gabapentin to get them into a carrier for the vet.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It will take some research but start by googling something like "pet transportation." I was in this situation once with a getting a dog from MO to CA without me going to get him. You will find a lot of options and prices. Ultimately, I paid someone's airfare to bring him as carry on to LAX. Are you saying that you would fly if you could get him sedated and into a carrier? That is your best bet frankly. Another flight option that is popular along the east coast is groups like Pilots for Paws.....now I might have the name a little wrong...but they are private plane owners who fly pets to other states. A friend in Maine got a dog from Florida that way. I think that Operation Roger is out of business but that was a network of truckers who voluntarily transported animals. You had to meet them on time though....a lot of legwork but they had a good reputation.

One problem you are going to have that will limit some transport operations is that they are crossing a lot of "dead states". It is not the same as going up the east coast or through New England which is done all the time by transports. However, as shadowsrescue shadowsrescue said, there are transport services out there. I had contacted one in Mississippi who was willing to pick up the dog and come out here with him. Some have very specific schedules....like they won't transport until spring, so start doing as much research as you can.

I would do the same as you....I could not leave a feral who was dependent on me especially one who slept on the bed.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have taken one friendly adult feral with me when I last moved because there were no other feeders or anyone who showed any interest in stray cats in that neighborhood.😢 I also took along a kitten rescued from that neighborhood a month prior to the move. In the end, both of them got adopted by me. I did not move too far away, so it wasn't a big move. I eventually made the rescued adult cat an indoor cat, but it was a difficult transition because she really wanted to be an outdoor kitty.

This is going to be a major move and you will have to get this cat UTD with her shots and get a hold of sedatives to keep her calm. I think it would be around a day and a half worth of driving from California to Michigan. One big change besides a being at a new location will be going from California weather to Michagan winter weather. You may have to keep this cat in your new home for a while. If you feel you must release her outdoors, I suggest doing it slowly and cautiously. With bringing a cat into a new environment, a 3 week period is used with the cat being put in a crate outdoors everyday, so they get use to their new environment and in the case of a colony transfer--use to other cats. This is used to try to minimize the outcome of cats just wandering away from new environment. This sadly does happen, so you need to make the cat feel comfortable and used to her environment as much as possible. The other members posted some good advice on this thread. So I well end at this.

Thank you for having the desire to go above and beyond for this kitty. This is going to be a huge change for both of you, but I wish you all the best.🙂 Keep us updated. If you seek anymore guidance don't hesitate to ask.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cwissinie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
[/QUOTE]
I have taken one friendly adult feral with me when I last moved because there were no other feeders or anyone who showed any interest in stray cats in that neighborhood.😢 I also took along a kitten rescued from that neighborhood a month prior to the move. In the end, both of them got adopted by me. I did not move too far away, so it wasn't a big move. I eventually made the rescued adult cat an indoor cat, but it was a difficult transition because she really wanted to be an outdoor kitty.

This is going to be a major move and you will have to get this cat UTD with her shots and get a hold of sedatives to keep her calm. I think it would be around a day and a half worth of driving from California to Michigan. One big change besides a being at a new location will be going from California weather to Michagan winter weather. You may have to keep this cat in your new home for a while. If you feel you must release her outdoors, I suggest doing it slowly and cautiously. With bringing a cat into a new environment, a 3 week period is used with the cat being put in a crate outdoors everyday, so they get use to their new environment and in the case of a colony transfer--use to other cats. This is used to try to minimize the outcome of cats just wandering away from new environment. This sadly does happen, so you need to make the cat feel comfortable and used to her environment as much as possible. The other members posted some good advice on this thread. So I well end at this.

Thank you for having the desire to go above and beyond for this kitty. This is going to be a huge change for both of you, but I wish you all the best.🙂 Keep us updated. If you seek anymore guidance don't hesitate to ask.
[/QUOTE]
Yes, whenallhellbreakslose, shots and a health certificate will be a major problem, but I'm hoping, as shadowsrescue suggested, a mobile vet might be the answer. You'd have to be practically flying (in a vehicle) to make it from California to Michigan in a day and a half; that's a distance of about 2300 miles. I don't want any of my cats to be outdoors, so Mommy's going to have to get used to being an indoor cat, so I'm not really thinking that winter weather will be an issue. I'm trying to take this one step at a time, so figuring out how to get Mommy to Michigan is my prime concern at the moment. Thank you for your help, and I will be sure to contact you again if need be (and I'll probably need to).

Cwissinie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It will take some research but start by googling something like "pet transportation." I was in this situation once with a getting a dog from MO to CA without me going to get him. You will find a lot of options and prices. Ultimately, I paid someone's airfare to bring him as carry on to LAX. Are you saying that you would fly if you could get him sedated and into a carrier? That is your best bet frankly. Another flight option that is popular along the east coast is groups like Pilots for Paws.....now I might have the name a little wrong...but they are private plane owners who fly pets to other states. A friend in Maine got a dog from Florida that way. I think that Operation Roger is out of business but that was a network of truckers who voluntarily transported animals. You had to meet them on time though....a lot of legwork but they had a good reputation.

One problem you are going to have that will limit some transport operations is that they are crossing a lot of "dead states". It is not the same as going up the east coast or through New England which is done all the time by transports. However, as shadowsrescue shadowsrescue said, there are transport services out there. I had contacted one in Mississippi who was willing to pick up the dog and come out here with him. Some have very specific schedules....like they won't transport until spring, so start doing as much research as you can.

I would do the same as you....I could not leave a feral who was dependent on me especially one who slept on the bed.
Yes, I have the option of flying back to Michigan (via Chicago), so I've considered taking Mommy on the plane. I did this with one of my sister's cats, flying from Michigan to California many years ago, but that cat was not feral. Thank you for the info on various pet transportation options. I only came across one when I looked a while back, and the cost was rather pricey, but I'll try to dig a little deeper and see what I can find. Yes, I had a friend who suggested I just leave Mommy here and ask some neighbors to leave food out for her, but how could I do that to her? She wouldn't understand why I wasn't here anymore, and even though she's my cat "by default," she's still mine, and I won't leave her behind.

Cwissinie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Many vets will prescribe gabapentin that will make the cat somewhat sedated and easy to handle. I have used it many times on my feral cats ( that now live in my house) when I need to get them to the vet. Sometimes the dosage is tricky, but in most cases it works. You could also have a mobile vet come out to your home. Do a search on mobile vets in your area.

There are transport services available that will drive pets across country. This might work for you.

Thank you for taking her with you and not giving up on her. I moved ( just an hour away) almost 3 years ago with 3 feral cats. They had all been living outside on my property for many years. All had been neutered, but never lived inside. They have all adjusted to inside living and I can pet them, but I cannot handle them enough to get into carriers. I have used both a mobile vet and also gabapentin to get them into a carrier for the vet.
Are you saying that you've given this gabapentin to your ferals personally, without the assistance of a vet? It sounds as though that's what you meant since you said you used it in order to get them to the vet. I will DEFINITELY check out mobile vets, because that might be the way to go. And I'll check further on pet transport services and keep my fingers cross that I can find something/someone.

No, I'm not going to give up on her. As a feral, she was always outside, but once I got her spayed and she warmed up (a little) to me, she started staying in the house a little more. She uses the pet door to come and go during the day, and I lock the pet door at night so she can't get out, so she's become somewhat adjusted to staying inside for lengthy periods of time. She will hopefully be an exclusively indoor cat once I move to the midwest. And maybe in time I'll even be able to pick her up.

Thanks for the invaluable information, shadowsrescue.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The gabapentin is in a capsule. I have been able to wrap it in a piece of chicken and give it my cat that way. The capsule is fairly small. It is becoming more popular for vets to prescribe this today with difficult to handle cats.

I used a mobile vet when I brought my feral boys inside the house. I needed them up to date on vaccines as well as tested for FIV and FELV. I had other cats in the house so I needed to be sure they were all healthy. One of the feral cats absolutely freaked out. He had to be sedated. Yet it allowed the vet to get a really good examine. The two other feral cats were wrapped in towels and a quick exam was performed then blood drawn and vaccines.

Just be sure when you locate a mobile vet that you tell them the cat is feral. Some will not want to work with feral cats. The vet needs to be prepared in case the cat needs to be sedated.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have taken ferals with me...not across country...but two houses ago I trapped a completely inaccessible feral who was dependent on me for food and shelter. We were no where near where you are with your little friend. I began to feed her in a carrier and actually managed to slam the door the day that we moved; it was that close. I had never touched this cat and had never TNRed "it". I took the cat to my vet who did spaying and then I found a boarding kennel who was willing to keep the cat for a few days while the house was set up. I brought the cat to the new house and put her in a spare bedroom which was all set up for her. It was all she wanted and she never walked out of the room again in the three years I had her. I even managed to give her insulin for 2 years successfully before she passed. I had thought of asking neighbors to feed her and I did have some very nice people next door but I knew that it would never happen on a regular basis and would degenerate into "cats can catch something to eat."

The transport search is a little labor intensive as they don't seem to be in one place that can be googled. Look for reviews if you can find any as I talked to a few people who supposedly transported animals who sounded a little strange.

Phicats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I agree with this. Also, ask your vet for some medications to help your cat.