How to manage kitty dementia and get some sleep?

mnstn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 14 year old cat with hypertension, hyperthyroidism, inflammatory bowel disease, arthritis and diabetes. They are all relatively well managed (she just saw the vet) but she may be getting demented. She wakes us up at night multiple times. She generally wants pets or to cuddle and if she's ignored she will meow. Even if she doesn't meow she steps on our heads getting in and out of bed. It wakes us up. We started putting her in her own room at night but she wails. Not normal meows but loud sad meows that break my heart. I don't know what to do. She had beds, litter box, nightlight, blankets, food and, water in her room. What else should I do?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Try a heartbeat toy, a purr toy, and possibly some timed cat music (so it's not on all the time), there's Spotify, YouTube, Alexa cat music, RelaxMyCat and MusicForCats as sources.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Where was she sleeping before this waking you up at night started?

Not sure if what I am about to suggest is something you can try, but I was hoping you can find an alternative to locking her up at night. The anxiety that might be created by separating her from you is not good on an older cat, and can exacerbate the possible dementia, not to mention additional health issues. If she has a bed she likes to sleep in, maybe you can place that in your room and see if you can work with her to settle her down before you try to go to sleep? If not the bed, it might be comforting to her to at least be in your room, nearby your bed where she can see you, perhaps a very large carrier that would confine her from leaving it to get on your bed? It would be a process for you to work on to see if you can manage it with her, but well worth it if you have success in doing so. Adding the heartbeat toy or purring toy to the mix might help as well. A night light in your room, if you don't have one now, could be helpful too.

Sorry, but I am a sucker for trying to make older cats as comfortable as they can be, especially when they start feeling a little less confident in themselves because of aging. If she is not demonstrating any other signs of dementia, it might just be the confidence factor playing a role.

Last edited:

cmsandford

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You might try putting something soft with your scent on it in her sleeping area. My 16 yr old boy with IBS is hypervigilant sleeps better when he's had some play time with catnip infused toys. He is always hungry like a hyperthyroid cat so I make sure there's something for him to eat in the middle of the night. IBS cats can have significant pain too which can contribute to the wakefulness.