How to make her fur glossier?

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi I am looking for simple ideas to make my sweet feral's fur glossier. I was amazed at the change giving her wet food makes! And she loves Temptations treats. She is starting to look like a show cat! Now I want to give her something nutritional -if needed - so she is sleek and silky, if possible. She's already come so far.

Suggestions? Ps please be easy ones. Salmon oil? Chews? Etc. Other nutrition suggestions ok too. Esp. dental as i don't brush her teeth. :-) thanks!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Biotin. Easiest way to supplement biotin is egg yolk. Egg yolk can also be a laxative in large amounts so take it low and slow until you know how much she can comfortably handle.

Start with 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, thanks. So... can I buy, like a small carton of egg yolks? and spoon it out? Sounds like a great idea, I take biotin myself. But... trying to figure out the mechanics as I don't eat eggs that often.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, thanks. So... can I buy, like a small carton of egg yolks? and spoon it out? Sounds like a great idea, I take biotin myself. But... trying to figure out the mechanics as I don't eat eggs that often.
If it’s just egg yolk (no other added ingredients/preservatives), yes, you can use a yolk in a carton product. But honestly, you will be feeding so little yolk that I suspect you won’t go through it quickly enough if you also aren’t eating eggs. If you were eating eggs yourself, I’d say scoop a little of the yolk before you cook your eggs. Otherwise, the amounts are so small that I would look into egg yolk powder instead. You can either buy a premade powder or you can pick up a carton of eggs and make your own. Unless we’re talking about international shipping, I think buying the premade egg yolk powder is the way to go. There’s a link to theirs on this page about making your own:
Make Homemade Dried Egg Yolk Powder

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweetlilac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you. This looks quite doable. Kitty Kat (that's her name!) seems to know what's best to eat. She's quite savvy. Looking forward to trying this.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I personally wouldn't bother - you never know what her reaction to something like this might be. It sounds as if she is doing well on what you are feeding her now, and the fact that she looks better seems a good place to be, for now! If you manage to get her inside, where you can better monitor her, then maybe you can experiment a bit more.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi I am looking for simple ideas to make my sweet feral's fur glossier.
Combing or brushing the fur a few times daily is the way to go. Eating wet food is good as it hydrates the cat and proteins and minerals from it helps too.
Brushing or combing rids off dead hair, debris and dirt accumulated while lying down and clearing matted areas if your cat is a medium or long hair cat.

If your cat is not short of any deficiencies of any sort of nutrients, then maybe not necessary to add any to her meals but adding some as supplements should not cause any harm.

My boy has no additives added to his wet food and he is a DSH and he's brushed with a short bristle brush several times a day for about 5 minutes each time. His fur is soft and smooth and glossy (sheen).