How to know if a cat will be ok with other cats or best to be in an "only" cat home?

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It has been a long time since I've posted on thecatsite forums! Originally when I joined, I lived in DC and had 6 cats all together. My oldest cat (all were adopted in DC) was almost 22 when I had to put her to sleep last may due to health issues. I lost all my cats within a short span of time due to them being so close in ages.

I had one DC cat remaining who started acting lonely so I got him another cat and ended up with 4. I had to put Tango, last cat, to sleep in April.

Since December, I've adopted 4 cats (indoor only) and they all get along most of the time. A friend recently asked me if I'd take her cat (named Dorito and is 9 years old) in since where they live, it's illegal to let cats free roam and she has gotten a couple citations for this and doesn't want to keep paying fines. She also has a real hard time keeping him inside since she has 6 kids ranging from age of 2 to 16 and they go in and out all the time leaving doors open.

They initally adopted him from a shelter where he was in a room with other cats and did fine.. However when they brought him home, he didn't get along with their other cat. Their other cat soon disappeared so Dory (my nickname for him) was in a home with multiple children and dogs (3 dogs). He has been very mellow and loving with them.

I warned them before I took him that I wouldn't let him outside or else I'd be a nervous wreck waiting for him to return home. They said that was fine

Anyway, the first night with me, he was hissing, growling and meowing all at once. I didn't know that a cat could do all 3 at the same time. After the first night, he improved. I have had to sleep with him in my bedroom and not let my other cats inside to sleep with me. He has been confined to my bedroom (with a window view of a field near a trail) so he likes to lay on the window bed and relax in the sun.

My big question is- how do I know if he will ever get along with my other cats or if he'd be better off in an "only" cat home?? They brought him to my home on May 1st so it has been a week. I've put a baby gate in the doorway starting a few days ago and he got tense but then relaxed when he understood they couldn't cross the gate. The other day, I decided to leave the door open and monitor him with my other cats. They seemed ok but wary with him. Later on, I went downstairs to do something and didn't realize that he followed me downstairs. Vinny, one of my cats, saw him and went after him hissing and swatting. I was able to grab him before he got hurt but he was terrified. I took him back to my bedroom and spent time with him to calm him down.

Last night, I decided to try again and brought him downstairs with me on the couch with the idea that he'd watch tv with me while other cats are around so he'd get used. However, he started hissing and growling non-stop. After a while, he lost it and attacked me. I got a pretty good scratch on my belly and several bites on my arm. I held him and ran upstairs to put him in my bedroom.

I have feliway plugs all plugged in the bedroom.

Based on this, what do you guys think?? Should I tell my friend that she need to look for another home for him while I take care of him (foster)? Should I wait a bit longer and try again?? All together he has been with me for over 2 weeks or so now...

desperate for advice!!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
From people with multicat households that I know, I don’t know of anyone who hasn’t been able to successfully introduce cats eventually. Following proper introductions, I think most cats enjoy being part of the “colony”, enjoying mutual grooming, playtime, and nap time.

As a long-time TCS member, you may have seen this article before, but in the off-chance you haven’t; this is really the most comprehensive cat introduction guide I’ve found on the internet (not just on TCS itself)

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are very kind to have taken your friend's cat. As someone who has had to bring cats into my home, often randomly, in rescue situation, I think that you should give it a little more time. I have had this situation and it has resolved itself with cats either becoming friends or ignoring each other in that way that cats do when they are able to coexist pretending that the other is not there.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise