How to keep Terra the Cat active during playtime?

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Been trying to play with Terra more often, and she clearly wants to pla, but after catching her toy a few times, she will climb her cat tower and refuse to chase Da Bird (her favorite toy). She clearly is still interested in Da Bird+ as she never takes her eyes off it, but I have to make it come to her, Terra is about 12 and her vet wants her to lose a few ounces, so getting exercise is important. Do any of you have any insight as to why she won’t actively play when she’s clearly still interested?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats lose interest in wand chase games as they get older but there are other games she might like. If she has toys that she really likes you may be able to teach her to fetch. It’s a great game for cats who catch on to it. You can also make sure she has plenty of solo toys like mice, cat springs, balls of all kinds etc that she can knock around and chase. You may need to try a variety of them before you find ones she really loves to play with.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so in touch with this! My girl is just a few short months short of turning 14 years old, and getting her to chase Da Bird is just absurd. But she wants me to twirl it and swirl it all over the room, while she watches raptly, and occasionally flip it to her to pounce on. If I keep at it, I will at least get her rolling and twisting around as I drag the feathers over her, which is better than nothing! It's the only toy she's at all interested in, and I've tried SO many!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've had good progress with getting Nobel rolling and twisting as well. If he takes off and runs it's a one-and-done situation.

If you feed any dry food, I found putting that in a treat ball or placing a couple of peices around helps to break up and give movement. For example I put 3 peices each on a step, on each level of the cat house that he can access, under the chair and on various scratchers. We call it 'hunting'. He loves it and it's helped very much to loose weight but also to build some strength back up from muscle loss.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That sounds like a great idea! My roommate keep a young male pit bull who is very hyperactive and rambunctious, but Terra is learning to tolerate him (she attacked him once, and now he gives her a wide bearth).Terra is still a bit trepidatious around him tho, but placing greenies around the house might entice her to explore more.

You mentioned treat balls; what exactly are these, and will they keep Cssh the Pit Bull Puppy from eating them?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ah. That's a much different situation. I would recommend, if you aren't already, that your cat's playtime be with a shut door between her and the dog (for example, your bedroom). She will be more relaxed and able to play.

I was thinking last night that playing on the bed is frequently one thing people do with older cats as it is cushioned and they can get better traction.

If you don't already have some area carpets (non-slip) around your home, (or carpet in general), then I suggest grabbing some. Elderly cats can need these for better traction. We noticed a huge improvement in Nobel's play when we got a carpet for the living room and one for the hallway.

To answer your question:
No. There is no food enrichment that I know of that would keep a dog out of it. I would recommend providing this during a time when the door is closed from the dog, or when the dog is out on one of his daily walks. Alternatively, when the dog has his own food enrichment like a snuffle mat, his own treat ball or puzzle. (Easily searchable on the web for each 🐱)
Whisker City® Rolling Treat Dispensing Cat Toy | cat Interactive & Electronic | PetSmart

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Been trying to play with Terra more often, and she clearly wants to pla, but after catching her toy a few times, she will climb her cat tower and refuse to chase Da Bird (her favorite toy). She clearly is still interested in Da Bird+ as she never takes her eyes off it, but I have to make it come to her, Terra is about 12 and her vet wants her to lose a few ounces, so getting exercise is important. Do any of you have any insight as to why she won’t actively play when she’s clearly still interested?
graycie does that to me all the time but she juts flops onto the ground but when gf plays with her she will run around our place and drag da bee behind her graycie will give chase until she is really worn out.maybe your cat is like that to wants to chase a small prey around thats moving kinda fast

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, well, sometimes it's in what you say. I found out last night, purely by accident, that Hekitty will go nuts if I say, "OH MY! what a fancy fighter you are!" Who knows from cats????

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thefishyone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yrah, I know what you mean. I’ nearly blind, and occasionally stet on Terra’s tail or paws, as she sometimes likes to hang out where I put my feet when getting out of bed. She doesn’t cry out in pain, but indigestion. I then have to apologize to her, tell her how much I love her, then pet her. Then, she will forgive me and nuzzle my hand with her ears.