How to keep separated cat from going berserk?

writingislove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all--building off of a recent post about my normally-peaceful cats suddenly fighting violently. I have them separated because the fights are so violent, and we have a vet visit scheduled for tomorrow. However, Orville (the aggressor) is not having it being stuck inside his own room. He meows constantly and frantically, but he also will NOT stop scratching at the door.

Regardless of what the vet says tomorrow I'm sure I'll have to keep them separated for at least a few more days (minimum, if I'm lucky) while I reintroduce them. What can I do to calm Orville down? The other cat is completely chill in his own room. Orville has the bedroom plus the master bath and closet, plenty of food and water, an open window looking out at the birds out back, toys (although he won't play with them on his own). What else can I try?

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Theres videos that are made to try and entertain cats. If you have a safe way to set up a screen to play one so he can see/hear it that might work. Sometimes a radio can help to calm a cat down when they're like that. A tv playing a channel normally watched can also help them to relax. Dont for get to give him plenty of attention. Also if the other cat is chill with being in a room by himself then the one freaking out may benefit from being allowed to roam the house.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

writingislove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Theres videos that are made to try and entertain cats. If you have a safe way to set up a screen to play one so he can see/hear it that might work. Sometimes a radio can help to calm a cat down when they're like that. A tv playing a channel normally watched can also help them to relax. Dont for get to give him plenty of attention. Also if the other cat is chill with being in a room by himself then the one freaking out may benefit from being allowed to roam the house.
Definitely giving him loads of attention and taking time to play. With letting him roam the house is there any concern he'll become territorial since he's already the aggressor in this situation?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Part of the (re)introduction process will require allowing each cat to spend some time outside of their single room. Is there any reason you can't at least use this one step now to help quell Orville a bit?