How To Keep Neighbor Dog From Burrowing Under Fence

wannahelp

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This morning, one of my cats was scratching and pawing at the back window. I looked outside and saw a dog in my yard. It had a collar but no tags. I realized it was the neighbor’s dog. I saw him crawl under my fence and back into his own yard.

There is no fence on the neighbor’s side. How do I keep their dog from burrowing under my fence and into the yard?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I dont know where you live but in the UK it is legally the responsibility of the dog owner to contain the dog. Have you got a good relationship with your neighbours, if so, have a chat with them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wannahelp

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Unless I sig something into the ground in fromt of the fence on my side it won’t help. I guess i’d basically have to dig some king of netting or fence to run the whole side. The dogs paws looked kind of middy, ao I guess it’s a digger. I don’t want to pit anything out there that wouls injure the dog if it did dig. These neighbors have little kids. I don’t see them standing outside with the sog every minute it spends outside.
We have a lawn service. Suppose the dog is back there and it bites somebody or runs out of our gate and gets hit by a car? I realize it’s not my responsibility but I wouldn’t want that to happen.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless I sig something into the ground in fromt of the fence on my side it won’t help. I guess i’d basically have to dig some king of netting or fence to run the whole side. The dogs paws looked kind of middy, ao I guess it’s a digger. I don’t want to pit anything out there that wouls injure the dog if it did dig. These neighbors have little kids. I don’t see them standing outside with the sog every minute it spends outside.
We have a lawn service. Suppose the dog is back there and it bites somebody or runs out of our gate and gets hit by a car? I realize it’s not my responsibility but I wouldn’t want that to happen.
You're a nice person for not wanting harm to come to him! He's probably on an adventure and has no idea what he's actually doing. Is he friendly with you?
I'd approach the neighbors with concern for his safety (the lawn stuff/open gate/hit by a car thing). They may not even know he's doing this and a good owner would appreciate your concern and wanting to fix the area he's dug out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wannahelp

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have to see how the neighbors respond and if it happens again, to determine what I need out there. Our last neighbors were horrible! Hopefully, these people aren’t as ignorant. The cinder blocks are so ugly but we may have to resort to them.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to see how the neighbors respond and if it happens again, to determine what I need out there. Our last neighbors were horrible! Hopefully, these people aren’t as ignorant. The cinder blocks are so ugly but we may have to resort to them.
i would have the cinder blocks below the surface of the ground, and all along the fence on that side of your yard. you could dig a 'trench' along the length of the fencing, set the cinder blocks into it lined up and touching each other end to end, then refill with the soil. you could even set some potted plants, or 5-gallon buckets holding tomato plants or similar on top of the soil -- over the cinder blocks.

please do call to check for buried power lines before you start digging! here's the phone number and related details -- Before you Dig | Call811