How to keep my kitten away from my bed

helsic

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know this is a very common topic for cats owners. We don't want our cats in certain places of the house, in our case, I'm allergic so I can't let my kitten climb up my bed and sleep in it. Because is getting cold nowadays, the kitten tries to get in to the bed when nobody is around so we made up a very cozy warm bed for him and he seem to enjoy it and spent a lot of time in it BUT still sometimes try to climb up to our bed.

My husband got very angry when he found out the kitten laying down over the pillows this morning and almost beat him!!

the kitten can play around the house and climb the beds in the other rooms but of course, like most cats, he is naughty and want to climb up our bed.

There is a way to show a cat that this 'territory' belongs to us and he is not allowed? We tried growling and hissing like another cat...

What do you do to keep your cat away from certain places?

silmarien

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I know this is a very common topic for cats owners. We don't want our cats in certain places of the house, in our case, I'm allergic so I can't let my kitten climb up my bed and sleep in it. Because is getting cold nowadays, the kitten tries to get in to the bed when nobody is around so we made up a very cozy warm bed for him and he seem to enjoy it and spent a lot of time in it BUT still sometimes try to climb up to our bed.

My husband got very angry when he found out the kitten laying down over the pillows this morning and almost beat him!!

the kitten can play around the house and climb the beds in the other rooms but of course, like most cats, he is naughty and want to climb up our bed.

There is a way to show a cat that this 'territory' belongs to us and he is not allowed? We tried growling and hissing like another cat...

What do you do to keep your cat away from certain places?
OMG, never beat a cat! It does nothing but make them afraid of you.  positive reinforcement ONLY works best for training.

Can't you just close the door to your bedroom???? Simple.  That, or try spray bottle training - when the cat jumps on the bed, give it a couple squirts from a distance (or else they will form negative associations with YOU, not the behavior).

Otherwise, I watch my kittens like hawks to make sure they don't go into "restricted" areas. In my case, under the bed, where my all-black kitten once hid and scared the bejesus out of me thinking he was lost.  I put towels and a blanket over the openings under the bed to block his access.  He isn't yet smart enough to figure out that cloth is flimsy lol. 

You can try using hormone sprays, too.  Cans with change in them will often act like spray bottles as the noise scares them away from the area. 

Last edited by a moderator:

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

OMG, never beat a cat! It does nothing but make them afraid of you.  positive reinforcement ONLY works best for training.

Can't you just close the door to your bedroom???? Simple.  That, or try spray bottle training - when the cat jumps on the bed, give it a couple squirts from a distance (or else they will form negative associations with YOU, not the behavior).

Otherwise, I watch my kittens like hawks to make sure they don't go into "restricted" areas. In my case, under the bed, where my all-black kitten once hid and scared the bejesus out of me thinking he was lost.  I put towels and a blanket over the openings under the bed to block his access.  He isn't yet smart enough to figure out that cloth is flimsy lol. 

You can try using hormone sprays, too.  Cans with change in them will often act like spray bottles as the noise scares them away from the area. 
I would not recommend the spray bottle either...that can give you the opposite effects of what you're looking for. 

Please take a look at the below article @helsic

This should help you with figuring out a proper way to discipline or modify your cat's behavior.

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/cats-and-discipline-dont-mix

It sucks that you can't sleep with kitty. He isn't being naughty by coming into your bed because he's trying to defy you, he just loves you and your husband a lot, and when humans rest at night, cats want to be close to them, and be in an area that is heavy with their scent (like your bed).

-You should keep your bedroom door closed, don't allow kitty to be in the same room as you when you sleep.

-You can keep a large size kennel, or cage in your room, with a very comfortable cat bed in there, with a few pieces of your worn clothing (will contain your scent), and keep him in the crate while you guys sleep. He will be in the same room, but not on the bed with you. 

-make the outside of the bedroom more appealing by getting a nice comfy cat bed, maybe a self heating one, and again. give your kitty some pieces of worn clothing that smell like you, that way he feels happy or content at least.

Its really hard to keep a cat from sleeping on a certain something, so the best way to keep kitty off of your bed is to keep kitty out of the bedroom.

I hope others chime in with more advice on how to deal with your kitty.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My husband is allergic to cats so our two have not been allowed to sleep with us from the beginning.  When they were small kittens they slept in a large wire dog crate.  It had enough room for a litter box, their bed, water, etc.  I think it helped train them to our schedule as well.  They also went in there when we were at work.  

Even now; 9 years later, one of our 2 will sneak into our bedroom if the door is left open and we might find them on the bed.  Or they may stay under the bed or in our closet.  If one of my kids comes in while I'm still in bed and they leave the door open; the girls will try to jump up.  Basically; the only effective way to keep cats off the bed is to not allow them in the room at all.  At least in my experience.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

helsic

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you everybody for your ideas and advices.

I didn't know cats like human scent LOL I really though he was trying to challenging us because I had another cat before and when he become a teen he defied my husband like showing off his territory (so we spayed him but is another story). I'll try to give him some worn clothes for his bed. His bed is actually warm and comfy but I'll try adding some of our clothes in it so he won't feel 'lonely' .

Yeah, I know hitting is wrong!