How to keep my 8 month Ragdoll smelling fresh? (he'd doesn't clean himself after he pees)

konuku

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a sweet and very shy 8 month ragdoll kitten who pees like a horse and close to the litter. As a result, urine usually remains in his fur and he unfortunately doesn't clean himself there. I am not sure if it is because he is lazy, hasn't really thought about it or cannot reach (might be the latter because even at 8 months, he is stocky and not very agile). He likes to clean around his neckline and paws and that is almost about it.

His sister is fastidious about cleaning and almost always smells fresh but also has less long hair and pees like a fairy. ;)

I have cut back a good amount of his hair there, but it still seems to be smelly - almost like a locker room - sweat mixed with urine. Lol.

His toilet habits have also lead to many many mud urine marks around the house conveniently right after I mop (I used Cat Attract which becomes like clay mud because he pees so much and then steps in it tracking everywhere inc the bed!).  He has also left urine smells on my couch - not because he peed on it but because he brought his urine remnants with him.

I have given him mini baths which he does not like as wipes don't seem to do much because his hair is so thick. So, instead of bathing him all the time and making his life less fun, might someone have another solution?

Thanks so much.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you had him checked by a vet? If his urine output is significantly greater than his sister's, I'd want to be sure that everything was working as it should.

In terms of freshness - you might just need to clip away more hair. A 'sanitary cut' is often used on long haired cats with cleanliness issues. I know you say you've cut some fur away already, but you might just need to take it back a little further.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

konuku

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I could get him checked out though he has peed that way since I got him 4 months ago - less often than his sister but more quantity (she goes 2-3 x more but smaller amounts). But one never knows.

If I cut more hair, I might have to almost shave him, but I can look again. He likes to sleep often and his tummy is usually facing down so not much aeration. She is different in that she often sleeps on her back with her tummy exposed so in addition to cleaning herself, her bits have more aeration too.

So funny to talk about such things. :)

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats can (and do) create the strangest topics of conversation. It's amazing how excited it's possible to get about bodily functions :lol3: ;)

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They sell cat wipes for waterless bathing- get a pack of those and wipe down his little bum.