How to keep kittens out from underneath furniture?

JessEast

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I’m a new cat owner with two 14 week old kittens. They’ve been adjusting very well over the past few weeks to their new home and gotten quite adventurous. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to stop them from actually getting up into the recliner? I’m so scared they’re going to get hurt if it opens or closes while they’re in it. Do any of the spray deterrents work?

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not sure this is feasible in your situation but I flipped mine forward so they couldn’t go up inside to hide. After they got comfortable, I could put it back normal and they didn’t go up inside anymore I put a blanket on the floor and they used it as sort of a fort but they were still out so it wasn’t like they were hiding
AA574DF1-4804-4493-AB0B-15E28A818D58.jpeg
6AB32572-06C9-43B8-84B5-DA020FB3803F.jpeg

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Uuuuuuuu, recliner is a big no no with cats any age. Please, get that out of your home. There are many horific stories of decapitated and mutilated kitties even on this forum. If you wish look it up and be horrified. Cats like snug spaces. Their philosophy ;if iI fit l sit!!! For the rest of furniture … if it bothers you … you have to wait for them to grow bigger and don’t fit!! :). cats like to have something above them for protection. Now , did we talk about recliner??? :D. Please, there is no foolproof solution for successfully proofing one so don’t take a chance. Cats a extremely curious creatures … have you heard; curiosity killed the cat?
Now, beside getting ri of recliner enjoy kitties they a lot of fun and grow up so fast.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have had at least two different recliners - over the course of time of having two different cats - and never had an issue. Of course, I understood to check underneath before using the recliner.

If you have the space, leave the foot in the 'up' position - that will be your clue to check underneath. Just check to make sure there is a cover the blocks getting up into the mechanics of the recliner (like the covering underneath box springs). You could also try using two old standard, or larger, sized bed pillows and stuff them underneath. Most recliners will still work to raise/lower the foot simply by crushing the pillows.

If you have tools, you could build a wooden box that would slide under the recliner and fill the space. It depends on how your chair works, obviously, but this would be a solution for those whereby the height doesn't change as it reclines. The box will also work for those recliners who have to have some of the space to change positions - as that would most certainly be your clue to move the box - and help you to become more mindful of the recliner in general.

Eventually, as the cats mature and a way to get underneath the recliner is blocked, they will consider it normal not to bother with it.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you saying they have already done it, or you are just afraid it will happen because you read about it on the internet? Because this is one of those things that cats definitely can do ONCE THEY DISCOVER IT. If your cats haven't discovered doing this, I wouldn't hesitate to cobble together some home made solution like the pillows FeebysOwner FeebysOwner mentions. If your cats have already discoverd going in is possible, thats a whole different ball of wax, and I would want one of the more foolproof solutions FeebysOwner FeebysOwner mentions.

Honestly, we have a reclyner, have through many many sets of cats, and we just didn't use it while they were kittens. When we were satisifed that they were old enough and had never shown any interest, we reclyned. Maybe this isn't 100% safe, but again, your cats either discover this is a thing or they dont. If they haven't discovered it, and especially if they are adults, its a very low risk thing.

Its like having a bannister about the stairs. I never worried about it. And I wouldn't worry with any future cats. But once our 3 year old discovered jumping up on it, we (justifiably!) freaked the heck out. I think we've had 8 cats, and she is the only one that discovered that was a thing to do. We were all set to build something expensive and ugly, but she got over it.

But yeah, in hindsight I'll admit our method wasn't the best and I would at least go with FeebysOwner FeebysOwner 's pillow strat in the future.