How to keep cats away from places you don't want it to go?

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
After hearing about your Nila I kinda feel bad...If I adopt only one female cat,she will kinda feel lonely.But in the current situation I think that adopting only one neutered 4-6 yr old female is gonna be the best.Then,after 5 or 6 years,I may adopt another one.Anyways,thanks,and that was all of my questions.And I have decided that I'll adopt the cat on the 5 of july,after my exams end.
Quite a number of cats don’t mind being the only one. Many prefer it!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After hearing about your Nila I kinda feel bad...If I adopt only one female cat,she will kinda feel lonely.But in the current situation I think that adopting only one neutered 4-6 yr old female is gonna be the best.Then,after 5 or 6 years,I may adopt another one.Anyways,thanks,and that was all of my questions.And I have decided that I'll adopt the cat on the 5 of july,after my exams end.
Not necessarily, as each cat is unique and different, as each human is. I would pray on the matter and then be Guided -- you will find the right cat(s) now, and in the time to come. Your decision to wait sounds like a wise one, because you will want to spend quite a lot of time bonding with your cat when (s)he first joins you. *Elvis, my male cat, just jumped up on my lap and he is purring. He helps me work every day. I call him my laptop because that's where he is when I'm working. I have a soft, thick cat blanket for him to lay on. He seems to be encouraging you in your thoughts.*

Joelle and the kittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am still really concerned about the whole living situation, but especially how veterinary problems will be handled. What if the cat develops a sickness or gets injured -- are the parents going to help pay for vet trips? Are you/your sister willing to take time away from school (or your parents time away from work) to take the cat to the vet? What if the cat coughs up hairballs frequently, or has a sensitive stomach and gets diarrhea (my kittens are going through a bout of diarrhea now and frequently get it on their feet; they were leaving little poop-prints on the floor so now I have to catch them before they leave the litter box and either clean their toes off myself or put them in a crate with diaper pads to give them time to walk/groom off the poop), or loudly cries a lot? Will the family be okay with that? It REALLY worries me that they said the parents will "kick the cat" (kick it with feet or kick it out of the house? Either option is terrible!) if it urinates outside the box. Will they hit the cat if it bites or claws them (never ever discipline a cat with violence!)? The concerns about the cat "running away" are only really warranted if they plan to have an indoor-outdoor cat, which is a BAD idea if you live somewhere that animals do not have legal protections. I worry if any of these issues arise the parents will make them get rid of the cat, which sounds like it could very easily be a death sentence.
All of this may seem harsh, but OP really, really needs to have the answers to those questions on-hand before they adopt a cat. If I was in this situation, I would wait until I was more mature and living independently before taking on such a responsibility. But of course most of us are posting from the West, where the majority of people have pets growing up, are living away from their parents at 18 (at which point they are expected to behave responsibly (ha!)), and after reaching adulthood will not be "controlled" by their parents the way they were as children.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am still really concerned about the whole living situation, but especially how veterinary problems will be handled. What if the cat develops a sickness or gets injured -- are the parents going to help pay for vet trips? Are you/your sister willing to take time away from school (or your parents time away from work) to take the cat to the vet? What if the cat coughs up hairballs frequently, or has a sensitive stomach and gets diarrhea (my kittens are going through a bout of diarrhea now and frequently get it on their feet; they were leaving little poop-prints on the floor so now I have to catch them before they leave the litter box and either clean their toes off myself or put them in a crate with diaper pads to give them time to walk/groom off the poop), or loudly cries a lot? Will the family be okay with that? It REALLY worries me that they said the parents will "kick the cat" (kick it with feet or kick it out of the house? Either option is terrible!) if it urinates outside the box. Will they hit the cat if it bites or claws them (never ever discipline a cat with violence!)? The concerns about the cat "running away" are only really warranted if they plan to have an indoor-outdoor cat, which is a BAD idea if you live somewhere that animals do not have legal protections. I worry if any of these issues arise the parents will make them get rid of the cat, which sounds like it could very easily be a death sentence.
All of this may seem harsh, but OP really, really needs to have the answers to those questions on-hand before they adopt a cat. If I was in this situation, I would wait until I was more mature and living independently before taking on such a responsibility. But of course most of us are posting from the West, where the majority of people have pets growing up, are living away from their parents at 18 (at which point they are expected to behave responsibly (ha!)), and after reaching adulthood will not be "controlled" by their parents the way they were as children.
I absolutely agree with you on every point, Joelle and the kittens Joelle and the kittens and wish Cat lover 225 Cat lover 225 would wait, but since she seems determined, I have tried to offer the best suggestions I can, based upon that. I don't know if OP will be back here, because her last post to date seems as if she's gotten all the information she thinks she needs and has made her decision. But in case she does return, I do hope and pray she reads your post. It is one thing to love and want a cat in your life; but the CAT's wellbeing needs always to come before our own desires.