How to keep cat out of a wide open living room ?

victornewman03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Greetings from Oregon.  A cat adopted us about 4 months ago.  2 year old Female says the vet. 

Our living room with a newer plush rug has no doors.  Wide open.  Kyra the cat goes in at night.  We can shoo her away during the day.  We tried a 3 foot wide strip of aluminum foil at the base of the rug.  Worked for a couple of weeks......no more. 

Flexible plastic fence might do the trick.  About 4 foot high.  Rolls up when company comes over.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
How about rolling the rug up at night, then unrolling it in the morning when you get up. ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

victornewman03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oops.....not enough info.  Wall to wall carpet and yes, she likes to play with the pile and disrupt the look.  DW not happy.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Have you offered her alternatives? Corrugated cardboard scratchers are a hit with many cats. You can also get carpet-covered cat trees. Since she seems to like horizontal surfaces, you could put out a couple of those coarse-fiber "welcome mats", sisal throw rugs or carpet samples.

charlismom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Smoosh some catnip into a couple of those cardboard scratchers described by @jcat  above to get her to try it, and that should do it, she'll get over the rug thing eventually if she has a good alternative.

Part of living with a cat, though, really; pretty much everything you do is going to be "disrupted" in some way.. :)

I don't think the flexible fencing will help...if she's anything like mine, the more you "block" something, the more they want in...lol  And four feet, well, she's gonna hop that and look back at you and giggle.

victornewman03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have cat scratchers and a cat tree in the kitchen area.  Cardboard scratcher is used all the time. She is not using the LRoom carpet as a scratcher alternative but playing with it.

Keep the suggestions coming and thanks.....

catladylou

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This sounds like normal cat behaver to me. My three cats go anywhere they want inside the house as they are indoor cats. My cats play everything even my tv my little one loves watching it and trying to grab things on it. I would just take the rug up as said above, as i have silk but i don't use it now because off my cats and my cats come first. :clap:

Last edited by a moderator:

victornewman03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update a year later.....Kyra has a favorite barrel chair in the living room that she uses.  Also likes to lounge under a LR table.  She has been very good about not clawing anything in the LR or elsewhere.  DW laid out a sheet at the entrance to the LR and Kyra spends a lot of time on that.  Right now...no problems.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Update a year later.....Kyra has a favorite barrel chair in the living room that she uses.  Also likes to lounge under a LR table.  She has been very good about not clawing anything in the LR or elsewhere.  DW laid out a sheet at the entrance to the LR and Kyra spends a lot of time on that.  Right now...no problems.
That's a positive update! :clap: