How To Keep Cat Off Counters And Gets Crazy When I Shower

Meieiei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I just adopted a 2 yo spayed female cat a month ago. She is the sweetest cat, follows me around the house. The issue I have is that I am having a hard time trying to train her to be off my kitchen counters and she gets totally crazy when I go take a shower.

I live in a small studio like apartment, with a bathroom, a kitchen/living area, and a bedroom separated by a wall, no door. I work 9 hours a day but it takes me an hour to get to work/home, so I spend at least 11 hours a day outside Monday through Friday. How do you entertain a cat when you work?

She has plenty of toys, a tall cat tower and a mid size one, she is somewhat food motivated so I have food/snack toys as well. I think the main reason she likes to be in my kitchen counters is because that is where my only window is. But I don't think it is a good idea since the stove is just where the window is and no need to mention all dangers she could be exposed to in a kitchen counter, knifes, forks, toxic food remaining, heated surfaces, etc.

I have tried many things, i have put double sided tape, tin foil, i bought a spray from "Nature's Miracle", a natural repellent, and none of those have worked so far. I do not want to use the water spray method since she will learn not do that only when I am around, and if I am not, she will keep jumping up.

She is also very very energetic when I come back from work and I try to tire her out every night before bed and that has worked so far, with the exceptions of some nights. But what if I have to go somewhere after work? I won;t have the energy or time to play for an hour with her, besides I don't want her to be bored and start meowing.

For the shower issue, she meows intensely when I shower, she goes nuts, scratches the door, she throws herself at the door, knocks things off. This is really stressing me out because it is "not" allowed to have pets in the building I'm living at with the exception of quiet pets (Fishes, turtles...). The landlord said that some of my neighbors have cats and it hasn't been a problem, he told me to make sure to teach her not to scratch the doors and furniture, because that will make me loose my deposit if they end up too damaged. Also I am afraid my neighbors will complain about the intense meowing at night (I'm a night showerer) and my landlord would not allow me anymore to my cat.

I adopted her in Petco, and chose an older cat because I knew I would not have the time to take care for a kitten.

She is fed twice a day. Before I leave for work and after I come back. I am saving for an automatic feeder.

Also, it is my first time owning a cat. But I have been in many situations where I have coexisted with cats. So any suggestions for a new cat owner is also welcomed.

Thank you for reading!!

-Mei

P.d. I am attaching my apartment floor plan in case you have any ideas of a better position for my furniture and the cat towers.
Floorplan.PNG

abbyemma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!

My cat also is obsessed with the shower. We take an opposite approach though, and we just leave the door open a crack so she can come in and go as she pleases. She comes in the bathroom and sticks her head in between the shower curtain and just is like mesmerized by the water. Every time we get out of the shower she instantly goes into it, and comes downstairs 20 minutes later with a wet face, tail, back, and paws lol. They find it super fascinating for some reason. Obviously this wouldn't work for you if you had roommates, but I would suggest if you are able to. I leave the door cracked instead of just shutting it after us because then really randomly the water will startle her.

Having my kitten has actually made a lot cleaner, so that is a plus. Some nights if we were lazy we would sometimes leave food out, but now we make sure to put everything away. We also load and unload the dishwasher a lot more, so there are not as many dishes on the counter. We don't leave knives out, I either immediately put them in the dishwasher, wash them, or is I am especially lazy I will just throw whatever dinner stuff we used into the oven, so I would put the knives into a bowl. Just make sure to remember that you did that.

When my boyfriend and I go to work we play talk radio, just so the cat has some background noise. I think she sleeps the majority of the day because everything looks the same when we come home. It is during the night where she has her parties and we find random things in random places. I just leave her with a couple of toys at a time, and switch them out so they stay exciting.

I know some people are against this but you could also just leave a bowl of dry food for the day. I don't see the harm if it is a quality food and the cat isn't scarfing it down.

Hopefully this helps. Last suggestion would be to cat one of those laser pointers for interactive play. Tires them out and they are so oddly obsessed with it.

:wave3:

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Congrats on adopting a new cat and welcome to TCS! Make sure you also stop by the New Cat Block and share your cat's pictures! I also became a first-time cat owner last October, so I had to deal with a lot of the similar issues you are having now. Have patience and do research, and ask away on TCS. There are many wonderful people here ready and able to help!

You are doing great in terms of giving your cat cat trees to climb and toys to play with. Once you figure out her favourite toys, rotate them every week or so, and that'll keep things fresh for her. Food puzzles are also good alternatives that will keep her occupied for a long time. Cats spend a lot of time during the day either sleeping or grooming, so it's not like they need stimulation all the time.

About counter surfing, I'm afraid that keeping her off of it is not an option, especially since the ONLY window is in the kitchen, and that's where cats get most of the entertainment and sunbathing. My kitchen doesn't have a window but my cat still loves to walk around the counters -- I've tried everything you tried but no success. So my suggestions are:

1. The key is to always keep the surfaces clean: put away the forks/knives/glasses/plastic springs/small items that cat may want to play with or eat. Definitely put away all foodstuff; if the cat has seen food left on the counter, he'll for sure visit the counter often to try to find food. Google things like "small household items that are harmful for cats" and "cat proof" your whole house for your cat's safety and well being.

The stove shouldn't be a problem when you're not using it.

2. When you are cooking, keep the cat away. Put him in a separate room (like your bathroom, since it's the only room with a door). Or if you can't, train him to know that when you're working in the kitchen, the counter is off limits. The way I do this is a) I clap my hands and say no when my cat jumps onto the counter when I'm cooking, and shoo her off, and overtime she learns to associate the word "no" and clapping of hands to mean "off the counter", b) I keep a spray bottle with water mixed with citrus and spray it at her (never the eyes, but body/chest) if she doesn't listen, and she'll jump off the counter, and c) I let her smell each food item before I work on the it--it satisfies her curiosity and she doesn't have to jump onto the counter to see what I'm doing, and d) have patience -- your cat will learn over time.

When your burners are hot, make sure to keep pots/pans/lids on them until they are completely cooled off.

Re bathroom situation: experiment with keeping the door open when you use the bathroom. Your cat is curious and is just dying to know what you are doing in that box with all that water! The first few months, my cat would just sit on the ledge of the tub watching me shower. I have a double shower curtain where I keep the outer curtain outside of the tub and the inner liner inside, and my cat would hang out in between, watching the waters dripping off the liner. After awhile, she just lost interest. Now I can shower with the door closed and she would be totally okay.

Good luck and enjoy your furry companion!

abbyemma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Re bathroom situation: experiment with keeping the door open when you use the bathroom. Your cat is curious and is just dying to know what you are doing in that box with all that water! The first few months, my cat would just sit on the ledge of the tub watching me shower. I have a double shower curtain where I keep the outer curtain outside of the tub and the inner liner inside, and my cat would hang out in between, watching the waters dripping off the liner. After awhile, she just lost interest. Now I can shower with the door closed and she would be totally okay.
I think we might share the same cat!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meieiei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!

My cat also is obsessed with the shower. We take an opposite approach though, and we just leave the door open a crack so she can come in and go as she pleases. She comes in the bathroom and sticks her head in between the shower curtain and just is like mesmerized by the water. Every time we get out of the shower she instantly goes into it, and comes downstairs 20 minutes later with a wet face, tail, back, and paws lol. They find it super fascinating for some reason. Obviously this wouldn't work for you if you had roommates, but I would suggest if you are able to. I leave the door cracked instead of just shutting it after us because then really randomly the water will startle her.

Having my kitten has actually made a lot cleaner, so that is a plus. Some nights if we were lazy we would sometimes leave food out, but now we make sure to put everything away. We also load and unload the dishwasher a lot more, so there are not as many dishes on the counter. We don't leave knives out, I either immediately put them in the dishwasher, wash them, or is I am especially lazy I will just throw whatever dinner stuff we used into the oven, so I would put the knives into a bowl. Just make sure to remember that you did that.

When my boyfriend and I go to work we play talk radio, just so the cat has some background noise. I think she sleeps the majority of the day because everything looks the same when we come home. It is during the night where she has her parties and we find random things in random places. I just leave her with a couple of toys at a time, and switch them out so they stay exciting.

I know some people are against this but you could also just leave a bowl of dry food for the day. I don't see the harm if it is a quality food and the cat isn't scarfing it down.

Hopefully this helps. Last suggestion would be to cat one of those laser pointers for interactive play. Tires them out and they are so oddly obsessed with it.

:wave3:
Hi!

Thank you for replying!. I am hesitating to let the door open when I shower because that is where I keep my cleaning products, I am too afraid she might get to it. Maybe I am being over cautious since it is my first time owning a cat. Also, since I only have 1 window it can get really humid back there, I am afraid it would be too humid if I leave the bathroom door open while I shower.

I guess I will look for a container for my cleaning products and try to leave the door open to see how it goes.

abbyemma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!

Thank you for replying!. I am hesitating to let the door open when I shower because that is where I keep my cleaning products, I am too afraid she might get to it. Maybe I am being over cautious since it is my first time owning a cat. Also, since I only have 1 window it can get really humid back there, I am afraid it would be too humid if I leave the bathroom door open while I shower.

I guess I will look for a container for my cleaning products and try to leave the door open to see how it goes.
I think that the cat will probably be too obsessed with the shower that they won't be exploring much else. You definitely want to be safe though. I just leave it cracked, just enough so she can get in. For some more amusement, you should put on your sink lightly and watch your cat try to figure out how to drink out of it!

Meieiei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Congrats on adopting a new cat and welcome to TCS! Make sure you also stop by the New Cat Block and share your cat's pictures! I also became a first-time cat owner last October, so I had to deal with a lot of the similar issues you are having now. Have patience and do research, and ask away on TCS. There are many wonderful people here ready and able to help!

You are doing great in terms of giving your cat cat trees to climb and toys to play with. Once you figure out her favourite toys, rotate them every week or so, and that'll keep things fresh for her. Food puzzles are also good alternatives that will keep her occupied for a long time. Cats spend a lot of time during the day either sleeping or grooming, so it's not like they need stimulation all the time.

About counter surfing, I'm afraid that keeping her off of it is not an option, especially since the ONLY window is in the kitchen, and that's where cats get most of the entertainment and sunbathing. My kitchen doesn't have a window but my cat still loves to walk around the counters -- I've tried everything you tried but no success. So my suggestions are:

1. The key is to always keep the surfaces clean: put away the forks/knives/glasses/plastic springs/small items that cat may want to play with or eat. Definitely put away all foodstuff; if the cat has seen food left on the counter, he'll for sure visit the counter often to try to find food. Google things like "small household items that are harmful for cats" and "cat proof" your whole house for your cat's safety and well being.

2. When you are cooking, keep the cat away. Put him in a separate room (like your bathroom, since it's the only room with a door). Or if you can't, train him to know that when you're working in the kitchen, the counter is off limits. The way I do this is a) I clap my hands and say no when my cat jumps onto the counter when I'm cooking, and shoo her off, and overtime she learns to associate the word "no" and clapping of hands to mean "off the counter", b) I keep a spray bottle with water mixed with citrus and spray it at her (never the eyes, but body/chest) if she doesn't listen, and she'll jump off the counter, and c) I let her smell each food item before I work on the it--it satisfies her curiosity and she doesn't have to jump onto the counter to see what I'm doing, and d) have patience -- your cat will learn over time.

When your burners are hot, make sure to keep pots/pans/lids on them until they are completely cooled off.

Hello!!

Thank you very much.

Hi!!

Thank you for the welcome! I just updated my profile picture with one of my cat (: i'll post some more in the forum thread you are mentioning.

Ok,, i will look for tips to store stuff away. I have almost everything in my counter because it does not have drawers. This counter is like a table?? There's nothing below. I do have a shelf behind where i put my pots and my microwave.

About the shower, i just replied to amother user about why im hesitating to do so, but sure i'll will try, hope that will satisfy her curiosity and stop doing that overtime!

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You know...I just let my cats do what they want. She's going to get on the counter when you're not home, so why fight it? Just keep the counters cleared of stuff you don't want her to get into. You know...baby proof the place.
She probably won't get into your cleaning stuff. I mean they have lids on them...right?

Meieiei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You know...I just let my cats do what they want. She's going to get on the counter when you're not home, so why fight it? Just keep the counters cleared of stuff you don't want her to get into. You know...baby proof the place.
She probably won't get into your cleaning stuff. I mean they have lids on them...right?
Yeah, but in some situations the danger is inevitable, for example when I am actually cooking or when freshly washed stuff are in the drying rack I have up there. Also, I don't own a dishwasher nor oven.

I just thought that there might be a way that people on this site with much more experience could suggest me as a new owner.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you are cooking and you sense the cat is going to jump up, a firm "NO!" would work. I would sometimes pick mine up and hold them and say "see what Mommy is making for dinner!"
Not sure how freshly washed stuff is a danger. Again, tell the cat "no!"

Meieiei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you are cooking and you sense the cat is going to jump up, a firm "NO!" would work. I would sometimes pick mine up and hold them and say "see what Mommy is making for dinner!"
Not sure how freshly washed stuff is a danger. Again, tell the cat "no!"
Alright, i'll try that. I mean... like knifes or what not.

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think it's awesome that you adopted a new cat! Welcome to TCS! I think it's good to be cautious, but as long as you keep your cleaning stuff closed, and you keep your cat off the counters when preparing food, you'll be ok. I have used, with some success, a pheromone spray called "stop that," which is in an aerosol can. It hisses and mists towards (but not on,) the cat, and this is supposed to stop them from certain behaviors. If you really need an area of counter which the cat doesn't go on, this might help. However, I agree that the cat will naturally want access to the only window, and might continue to jump on the counters when you're gone anyway. I don't think it's a major danger there nor in the bathroom unless you have open containers of food or cleaning stuff.

As for the shower, one of my cats is obsessed with the shower as well. Some cats just hate closed doors, and since this is the only one in your house, it might be driving her crazy to hear you, but not be able to get in. I also leave the door cracked for my cat when I'm showering, and she mostly just sits and watches the water. I've put ping pong balls in the sink and empty tub for her to play with before when I'm gone. She loves that!
For the humidity, maybe you could air the place out via the window by using a fan you're done? If the window has a screen, that is. With your floor plan, it shouldn't take long to air out. If the alternative is your landlord kicking you or your cat out, this may be your only real solution. The best method to stop your cat from meowing for attention at inappropriate times (like sleeping, etc.) is to ignore it and let them realize that the meowing doesn't get a response. With your building's policy on pets, I think that is a risky idea. The shower is not likely as dangerous for her, in my estimation.

Everyone else had some great tips for keeping your cat busy. It's awesome that you're giving her toys, cat trees, and playtime. Like I said, it's good to be cautious, (I sure was when I first got cats a year ago,) but I'm sure you're doing great as a cat owner! Be sure to post some pics of your kitty! We'd love to meet her!

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Alright, i'll try that. I mean... like knifes or what not.
Do you have a knife block?

You can buy portable drawers and put them under the table for storing stuff. Or build some shelves and put storage bins on the shelves. Or invest in other home organization tools. As multiple posts have mentioned - keep your surface clean, store things away, etc. Having a cat certainly made me more organized.

My cat never bothers with clean dishes on drying racks, because there's no food for her to pick! So don't worry about those.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's unfortunate that your only window is by the stove, as cats do love to gaze out the window. And even if she learns to stay off the counters while you're around, there's no guarantee she won't get curious and hop up there when you're away from the apartment. Is there anyway to cat-proof the stove, at least, so she can't accidentally bump a knob and turn it on?

Here's a TCS article on Get Off! How To Discourage Your Cat From Jumping On Counters that may be helpful.

Meieiei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's unfortunate that your only window is by the stove, as cats do love to gaze out the window. And even if she learns to stay off the counters while you're around, there's no guarantee she won't get curious and hop up there when you're away from the apartment. Is there anyway to cat-proof the stove, at least, so she can't accidentally bump a knob and turn it on?

Here's a TCS article on Get Off! How To Discourage Your Cat From Jumping On Counters that may be helpful.
Hello!

Yeah, there are many dangerous scenarios going through my head, the one you are stating is also one of the reasons I would prefer her to be off the counters. I will look for storage ideas and cat proofing ideas.

Thanks for the link~

Meieiei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think it's awesome that you adopted a new cat! Welcome to TCS! I think it's good to be cautious, but as long as you keep your cleaning stuff closed, and you keep your cat off the counters when preparing food, you'll be ok. I have used, with some success, a pheromone spray called "stop that," which is in an aerosol can. It hisses and mists towards (but not on,) the cat, and this is supposed to stop them from certain behaviors. If you really need an area of counter which the cat doesn't go on, this might help. However, I agree that the cat will naturally want access to the only window, and might continue to jump on the counters when you're gone anyway. I don't think it's a major danger there nor in the bathroom unless you have open containers of food or cleaning stuff.

As for the shower, one of my cats is obsessed with the shower as well. Some cats just hate closed doors, and since this is the only one in your house, it might be driving her crazy to hear you, but not be able to get in. I also leave the door cracked for my cat when I'm showering, and she mostly just sits and watches the water. I've put ping pong balls in the sink and empty tub for her to play with before when I'm gone. She loves that!
For the humidity, maybe you could air the place out via the window by using a fan you're done? If the window has a screen, that is. With your floor plan, it shouldn't take long to air out. If the alternative is your landlord kicking you or your cat out, this may be your only real solution. The best method to stop your cat from meowing for attention at inappropriate times (like sleeping, etc.) is to ignore it and let them realize that the meowing doesn't get a response. With your building's policy on pets, I think that is a risky idea. The shower is not likely as dangerous for her, in my estimation.

Everyone else had some great tips for keeping your cat busy. It's awesome that you're giving her toys, cat trees, and playtime. Like I said, it's good to be cautious, (I sure was when I first got cats a year ago,) but I'm sure you're doing great as a cat owner! Be sure to post some pics of your kitty! We'd love to meet her!
Hi~

Thank you so much for your response. And yes, I will try to let her in tonight, let's see what happens!

Here are some pictures of her:
cat.JPG

Kitty.jpg

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She's so cute! What pretty eyes she has! I hope she's settling in to your place nicely!