How To Keep Cat From Scratching Infected Ear?

Fyrekit(Proud Cat Mommy)

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, Klingon's got an infected ear that he keeps scratching at to the point where he yells at the ear and has dug himself an open wound in there, it's been cleaned and treated with a medication for ear infections. Now he was very angry about both parts of the treating and kept trying to scratch at it. How can I keep him from making that wound even worse? I unfortunately don't have a picture to show as he'll get angry if I so much as try to touch the affected ear right now. I also put a small bit of triple antibiotic ointment in the ear itself on the wound, is there anything else I can do to hasten his recovery so he's less angry at the world in general and his ear most of all? Here's my best attempted picture of the affected ear.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fyrekit(Proud Cat Mommy)

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He has which is where we got the medication for his ear, let me tell you he was even less happy about a stranger messing with the ear. Edit: Not too sure how well a cone would work being that he is out of necessity an indoor outdoor cat as he prefers to do his business outside rather than in a litter box, in fact he positively refuses to go in a litter box, but for him at least having access to the outdoors works since he's never left the yard just done his business and come back in to snuggle or sulk near his favorite human if he's not feeling so good which is the case right now.

Last edited:

carebare

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat is suffering from self trauma due to itchy skin including his ears. A cone is the only thing that works, and as soon as I take it off he undoes any progress towards healing. He sulks with it on and I tried the plastic and cloth kinds of cone collars.

The problem with antibiotics gels or spray is that they are for topical use and give him dirrhea after he licks any residue, which makes him feel worse and less likely to eat.