how to keep ants out of food at colony site?

lisa1950

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
was useing Ortho ant poisen and a organic pest control but started useing Adams flea control for cats. the Adams Flea control is not working. does anyone have any suggestion or a formula with out poisoning cats?

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would be very careful about using the Adams Flea control on the cats because I have known some cats to have very adverse reactions to this OTC product. But, I do understand it is very difficult to keep feral cats flea free. Anyway - Adams will not help with keeping the ants off of the feral cat food if that is your question. The only suggestion I have and one that other's have used but not me is to keep the cat food up on a very sturdy table and apply sticky ant tape to the legs of the table so the ants can't make it up to the top of the table. The cats learn to jump up and down from the table to eat. OR you can even install a covered feeding station on top of the table. In reality - the cats will still eat the food regardless of the ants - feral cats become quite adapt at eating almost anything, bugs included. :slant:

I wish I had a better suggestion and hope that someone else chimes in here too! :wavey:

Last edited:

flaviomi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe you can try putting the food bowl inside of a plate with water. So the ants will not be able yo reach the food.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People on this site recommended this outdoor feeder to me to keep starlings out of my feral's food, and it's kept starlings and ants out of the food bowl very well.

http://www.outdoorpetfeeder.com/

If you're talking about flea protection for your cat, I use Frontline Plus. I drizzle it onto him while he's preoccupied with eating, and it keeps fleas and ticks off.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisa1950

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks for your suggestions and warnings about Adams Flea SPRAY. iT DID NOT GET  rid of the ants. plan to order two of the out door feeders that will keep ants out of food dishes.

janzaroo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Similar to the pan of water idea, you can also sprinkle diatomaceous earth on an outer tray and place the food container on top of that. Not great in windy locations but depends on where and how high the pan is.

lisa1950

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
what brand name did you buy?want to be sure I buy the correct type of diatomaceous earth  that   is safe  for cats.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We do a dog bowl filled with water & place a slightly smaller but taller bowl inside it with the cat food -works like a charm!

I've known two friends whose cats had horrible reactions to Adams flea control - both cats (adult cats - not even more vulnerable kittens) had to be rushed to ER vets. So I'd strongly caution against ever using it.

But @msaimee going to look into the outdoor feeder bc we have horrible starling issues in the winter!

lisa1950

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks for your suggestion. some feeding places are under a enclosure just space enough to get your hand under.  big ant issue there. am useing a flatter two section feeder and canned cat food with watter surrounding the can. still have ants.what about diatomaceous  earth?what brand? the third kitten am trying to trap ,hides inside this  wooden enclosure locked on the Elks Lodge property. she is a few months old. were able two trap two of her sibleings but she proveing to  extra hard to trap no matter what kind of trap we use or bait.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got mine on Amazon - just make sure it is food grade in case the cats eat some.  It is actually good for flea control and can get rid of some worms.  I sprinkle a pinch on my outside cats' food a few times a month.  I also spread it around their compound in the spring and dust their beds/shelters.

It is very fine, so do not use it on windy days and be careful not to inhale it.