How to keep a cat from a window ledge?

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sis in law gets upset because my cat walks on the window ledge in her room behind her bed, then she walks on her bed. logically she should just shut the door so the cat wont go in. but she likes to hang out in the living room and have the door open for her daughter to go in and out of her room. which is understandable. but im not sure what to do, i cant keep my cat locked up in a room all day, and my sis in law refuses to keep her door closed. how can i deter my cat from her window (without hurting my cat in any way, of course)

by the way, my sis in law has a huge american bulldog that sleeps in the room next to mine. i keep my door closed so he wont go in my room. so im not being unfair in wanting my pet to be loose in the house, hers is too...

odiakkoh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Remove access to the ledge? Why doesn't she like the cat there? Is her daughter old enough to open/close the door herself?

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could put some double- sided tape on a peice of paper and lay it across the window sill. Or a piece of tin foil. Lots of cats don't like to walk on these things. That might break the habit and then you can remove them.

odiakkoh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You could put some double- sided tape on a peice of paper and lay it across the window sill. Or a piece of tin foil. Lots of cats don't like to walk on these things. That might break the habit and then you can remove them.
Funny thing, I've yet to have a cat that was actually bothered by either. I'm just unlucky I guess.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Remove access to the ledge? Why doesn't she like the cat there? Is her daughter old enough to open/close the door herself?
she doesnt mind the cat in her room, but she says there is dust in that window sill and my cat walks on the window then on her bed. and yes her daughter can open the door shes 2 years old, but the door is faulty and is hard to lock. but regardless my sis in law wants the door open anyway.

i guess she doesnt feel she shouldnt have to make any sacrifices for my cat. i once offered to put a toy for my cat outside her room, because my cat would play with her daughters toys, and she was grossed out at the thought of her daughter touching something my cat would play with.

anyway, ill suggest the tape to her.

Last edited:

odiakkoh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Why doesn't she just dust the window sill? Unless there's more to it I don't really get what the problem is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why doesn't she just dust the window sill? Unless there's more to it I don't really get what the problem is.
i know, thats what i was thinking too, but i guess she doesnt want to clean there, and she doesnt want to close her door, she doesnt want to the cat in there, but she wont close the door.

my sis in law acts nice, but i can tell she cant stand animals. shes just being stubborn, my nieces dog tries to get into my room when he is scared, i do what a normal person does, and shut my door, and then i go out to figure out what is wrong.

odiakkoh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like my mother. She'll go out of her way to complain about my pets. Thankfully I don't live with her so I can just tell her to shut up lol. Good luck with it all.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe try carpet runner upside down?  Pointed edges up.  Have used the car mats in past for near/under the doors cats just LOVE to attack.

What about just offering to clean the sill daily?  I have never used any anti cat sprays but sure you could find something the cat would not like