How to introduce new puppy to my spoiled kitty?

sunrise

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My husband and I are going to be getting a Lab this summer as soon as we get grass and a fence put in at our new home. In anticapation of this, I've been kind of worried how my cat, Zoe will react.

We got her from the animal shelter in November 2000. She was a 6 month old stray and thus she's still a little wild at times (slightly aggressive and nervous). Most of the time though, she's a perfect lady who doesn't mind meeting new people. However, she's never been exposed to dogs from what I know.

She's spayed and declawed, but prone to biting.

What's the best way to introduce a puppy into my home without causing either animal too much stress?

Thanks in advance.

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well the first thing you need to know is that declawed cats usually resort to the biting because of the loss of claws. It is not something that is likley to change.
When you bring puppy home, you need to make sure puppy is on a leash. It is best if the cat is allowed to sniff out the dog without being chased. Most people are Kennel training dogs these days. If it is an option for you than it is a snap to put puppy in at night and then the cat has a great chance to figure out what it is. It may take months for the cat to adjust, but they usually do.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
give her space to get away from the puppy when he becomes too much of a nuisance (and they usually do!).Other than that, introduce gradually under close supervision and give it time. Let us know how it's going when he arrives - Labs are so adorable!

mishon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just got a new lab/beagle mix puppy two weeks ago and my two cats were not thrilled of course. I have found that putting a baby gate across a doorway to a "safe" room where the cats can get away from the puppy helped a lot.

Also remember to put the cat's food and a seperate water dish out of the dog's reach, or else it will get eaten by the dog and the cat will be nervous about eating if he's afraid of the dog running up on him from behind.

Remember to give extra attention to the cat, so he won't develop any jealousy, which could lead to behavioral problems.