How to introduce a new (fairly young) dog to an (older) resident cat

three4rd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My wife has been wanting a dog for the past 3 years ever since ours passed away. I'm willing to go along with it since she truly is a dog lover (although for my part I could be content to just live with our cat - just seems so much easier and quieter). It's not that I don't like dogs, but with our last one the last few years got to be really tough from a medical standpoint. Her end-of-life was enormously hard and painful to watch. I still don't think I'm recovered from some of what we went through.

I keep thinking back to times with previous dogs that at least mildly terrorized our cats (although they did learn at some point to at least tolerate each other - especially as our last dog reached advanced age). Our cat has now been the only pet for the past 3 years and, needless to say, is queen of the house - so if we do this - I want to do it right. Our cat is 11 years old and so I'd be sad to think of her living in fear of the newcomer.

Cat and dogs, ya know? Or shall I refer to the old adage, "fighting like cats and dogs". Guess there's a reason for that saying. They just don't speak the same language unless truly growing up together. I've never experienced that. We've had a dog and introduced a cat (though probably not taking care to do it the recommended way), and then had (the same cat) and introduced another new dog - also probably didn't do it the suggested way. Then, had a different cat that came while the dog was already here, but that's the dog that died 3 years ago. Geez...this gets sorta confusing after awhile. In all, there have been 2 cats and 3 dogs. First dog never experienced living with a cat. My personal thought - to be fair to both - is that feline and canine shouldn't mix at all UNLESS they are both very young and are 'brought up' simultaneously. Otherwise, I just think one becomes dominant (probably the dog) and thus the cat gets the short end of the stick. Others may disagree, although with this being a cat site I suspect not.

My wife has her heart set on this and I've been (undoubtedly quite unfairly) dodging and not showing much enthusiasm towards pictures of loads of adoptable dogs she has shown me over the past 3 years. I feel super guilty for not moving forward on this since I know she still misses our dog terribly. I'm 65, have back issues, don't have the level of energy I did 10 years ago, and so probably am just being lazy over the idea of starting all over again with another canine companion. Our cat is VERY mellow, and relatively inactive, so I worry about how that will play into the equation. Good or bad? Thanks for any ideas...

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Could be good, could be bad. And you may find a wonderful dog who has been accustomed to living with cats, after all! And search for a dog with lower energy levels. ALL of that information should be available on adoption sites. You will do better with an older, more settled dog, as well. Just a couple of thoughts, there.

This may be of help... How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

three4rd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
M....thanks so much. I agree with the idea of a more calm, older dog..especally since I, too, am older...(calmer too? Depends on who you'd ask I suppose 😆)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, I'm so calm now that I'd turn into primeval ooze if I didn't have to feed Hekitty twice a day and clean her box out!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My personal thought - to be fair to both - is that feline and canine shouldn't mix at all UNLESS they are both very young and are 'brought up' simultaneously. Otherwise, I just think one becomes dominant (probably the dog) and thus the cat gets the short end of the stick. Others may disagree, although with this being a cat site I suspect not.
Okay, call me disagreeable, lol. :biggrin: I love both dogs and cats equally. Our last cat ruled the dog and he was a German Shepherd, i.e. no small dog by any means. Of course, our cat was a true diva in every sense of the word. However, the chemistry mixed and they got along famously.

There are numerous threads in the forum, Other Pets & Animals, that discuss getting a puppy/dog with a kitten/cat. Please check some of them out here: Other Pets & Animals

We are always here to support you and offer any suggestions that we can to help make the transition successful. I hope you will reconsider since I'm sure it would make your wife very happy. :heartshape:

Katy Perkins

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats and dogs can get along if introduced properly. You love your new puppy, but your cat may not. First impressions can make or break the future relationship between your existing cat and your new addition. Teach your dog a strong 'down-stay' or 'leave it' command. Put your dog on a leash. Have a route of escape for your kittens, like a cat tree or a room with a barrier the cat can easily escape, but the dog cannot follow. Ask your dog to 'down-stay' while your new kitten is allowed to investigate the home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

three4rd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of the things that bothers me is kennelling the pets when away. We have two places that are both really good - one for the cat and one for the dog (haven't needed that one these past few years). Still, I feel so guilty every time they have to go. We travel fairly frequently and so unfortunately there's not much choice short of finding local sitters - which I've thought about - at least for a dog. At least our cats and dogs have always been used to being in crates whenever we're away from home due to otherwise setting off the alarm system motion detectors.

I appreciate all the comments. I'm a bit more leery of choosing a dog through these various "adopt a pet" internet sites. My wife loves poring through those - and certainly there do seem to be lots of nice dogs. You can tailor the searches to practically any particular breed, age, gender that you're looking for. It's a great source, but I'd still prefer - like we did with our last dog - coming across one that looks interesting in the newspaper or other local advertising and actually get to visit with the dog at its current home. Otherwise it's a bit like buying 'sight unseen'. Fine for looking at pics on amazon and hoping you get exactly what is described but...with a pet? I know that most of those sites allow for returning the dog if things don't work out. What is nice is that some ads make use of videos rather than just pics. Have to wonder too how accurate some of the descriptions truly are when they say things like "good with other dogs and cats".

I'm sure we'll do it...I've just been hedging on it in the wake of other issues that have come along - including a few health-related ones.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sure we'll do it...I've just been hedging on it in the wake of other issues that have come along - including a few health-related ones.
If it helps a little, we've always had a pet sitter that comes to the house when we just had cats. With both our dog and cats we had someone we knew stay at the house. As you said, I felt too guilty about kenneling either pet and since cats are territorial they get easily stressed out when they're in an unusual environment. TCS has an Article about finding the best pet sitter that might be helpful for you: Selecting The Best Pet Sitter – TheCatSite Articles

Regarding adopting a dog - we've been very fortunate. Our last dog who we adopted was a gem and by far gentler and more well behaved than our neighbor's purebred championship lines dog. 😉 You may want to consider a rescue group that fosters dogs because you can not only visit the dog but the foster family can also give you firsthand information. My husband and your wife would get along well, i.e. he's constantly searching on the adoption/rescue sites. :biggrin: Best of luck!