How to introduce a kitten to my allergic partner and his dog?

catlady4ever

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my partner is allergic to cats (but he gave me the go ahead to adopt one anyways because he knows I'm not a dog person and knows I've been wanting to get a cat since we started dating as well as knowing how heart broken I've been concerning my private life). His allergies are mild and he says he's not allergic to all cats and has only had a severe reaction once where the cat sat on his face. I am hoping in the long run we can get a HEPA filter, but for now, he uses medication and a nose spray. I'm also going to wipe my girl down, although I am waiting till her spay site heals. I am also going to be cleaning more frequently as well and introducing the "wash your hands if you touch her" rule. I'm not sure what else I can do besides cleaning her things. Plus, she's attached to me and only me so she doesn't seem to like any other people.

My other concern is his dog. She's a sweetheart but she has never met a cat before up close. She likes dogs smaller than her so I hope that my cat will get used to her and her used to the cat. We are never leaving them alone however, and the cat will sleep in our bedroom for the time being although I offered to sleep on the couch with my girl while he sleeps with his girl (I do not live with my partner but do not want to leave my kitten home alone for a week so she will travel with me). I am considering a cat tree for his place so she can have a high area if she feels unsafe but this will be later once she's a bit bigger and I'm not fearful she'll fall. Hopefully, anyone with a dog and a cat household can help me with this issue

My partner is a bit apprehensive atm as to how to proceed with introducing her to his place. I honestly told him we could just get married and live apart haha but he doesn't like that idea.

If anyone has dealt with this please let me know!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Since we have had both dogs and cats together I always introduce the dog to the cat while on a leash. Just out of curiosity what type of dog does your partner have? A cat tree is a good idea for a high place but you can also put up shelves for this purpose. The cat should always have a safe room or an escape route to a safe place in the home. Does your partner have a dog crate? If so, you can put the dog in the crate for a brief time while the cat explores your partner's place. Or you can let your cat explore things when the dog is out on a walk with your partner. Even if they do not become best friends as long they co-exist that's okay too.

Regarding your partner's allergy to cats keep in mind hardwood floors or tile are easier to clean than carpet. If you do have carpeting then a deep clean with frequent vacuuming would help. Also regular dusting and take into consideration window treatments that collect dust.

Fingers crossed everything works out. :crossfingers: Our last dog and cat were BFF's and got along great just remember to give it time and be patient.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlady4ever

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since we have had both dogs and cats together I always introduce the dog to the cat while on a leash. Just out of curiosity what type of dog does your partner have? A cat tree is a good idea for a high place but you can also put up shelves for this purpose. The cat should always have a safe room or an escape route to a safe place in the home. Does your partner have a dog crate? If so, you can put the dog in the crate for a brief time while the cat explores your partner's place. Or you can let your cat explore things when the dog is out on a walk with your partner. Even if they do not become best friends as long they co-exist that's okay too.

Regarding your partner's allergy to cats keep in mind hardwood floors or tile are easier to clean than carpet. If you do have carpeting then a deep clean with frequent vacuuming would help. Also regular dusting and take into consideration window treatments that collect dust.

Fingers crossed everything works out. :crossfingers: Our last dog and cat were BFF's and got along great just remember to give it time and be patient.
We are going to try the leash technique first. She is a pitbull, but a mini one (she never grew very big since she was abused before getting adopted at a shelter. She does not have a dog crate since she'll chew through everything. We are going to designate a large bathroom to the cat where she'd have her food and litter.

Luckily everything is hardware so thats good. Thank you!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
She is a pitbull, but a mini one (she never grew very big since she was abused before getting adopted at a shelter.
Please tell your partner thank you so much for adopting a pit bull from the shelter. Unfortunately this breed is often overlooked but they can be simply wonderful, loving and intelligent. Does your partner watch the tv show, Pit Bulls & Parolees? My husband and I have been binging on it during the pandemic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlady4ever

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please tell your partner thank you so much for adopting a pit bull from the shelter. Unfortunately this breed is often overlooked but they can be simply wonderful, loving and intelligent. Does your partner watch the tv show, Pit Bulls & Parolees? My husband and I have been binging on it during the pandemic.
I will let him know! We actually do not haha but I watch it sometime.

BTW we did introduce them today. Moody and Bernice (Pitbull) get along well enough but we have to watch them and let Moody sleep in her carrier when she feels overwhelmed and stay in the bathroom for her break/potty break/food break/play with only mommy.
My partner also loves her, although the allergies are acting up. We will be getting a filter and start cleaning the house a bit more. But so far the first day is going well!