How To Increase A Cat's Confidence In Unfamiliar Places?

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat, Ashton, is confident and relaxed at home. She never hides from strangers, but comes right up to them and their belongings and sniff them (although she doesn't like them touching her). And I've been regularly inviting people over so that she gets regular "practice" of meeting strangers and doesn't lose this confidence.

But I want to make her more confident in UNFAMILIAR places as well. It all stemmed from her first visit to the vet a while ago - she was really nervous, probably because of 1) an unfamiliar place (i.e. not her territory) and 2) there were so many smells of other cats and dogs. This made it hard for the vet to handle her, and having a stranger handle her added to her stress even more.

So I started training her to wear a leash, and has taken her to the balcony to explore. I also let her out of my apartment to explore the hallway sometimes. She likes it, smelling different scents, but as soon as she hears footsteps, she darts right back home, and sits away from the front door until the hallway is quiet again.

Once she gets better at leash walking, I plan to take her to my building's rooftop to explore. But what else can I do to help her be less skittish around strangers in unfamiliar places? My ultimate goal is that she will be less nervous in unfamiliar places and allow strangers to touch her.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm not sure if there is any way to make a cat more comfortable in unfamiliar places. And, for some reason, cats always know when you're taking them to the vet.

My vet once suggested spraying Feliway in Ruby's cat carrier before I brought her to the vet. So you could maybe look into that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks, rubysmama rubysmama . My vet also suggested that, and I found a cheaper alternative on amazon.ca. I have been using it mostly for her nail trimming sessions by spraying it on the cloth on which I trim her nails.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat, Ashton, is confident and relaxed at home. She never hides from strangers, but comes right up to them and their belongings and sniff them (although she doesn't like them touching her). And I've been regularly inviting people over so that she gets regular "practice" of meeting strangers and doesn't lose this confidence.

But I want to make her more confident in UNFAMILIAR places as well. It all stemmed from her first visit to the vet a while ago - she was really nervous, probably because of 1) an unfamiliar place (i.e. not her territory) and 2) there were so many smells of other cats and dogs. This made it hard for the vet to handle her, and having a stranger handle her added to her stress even more.

So I started training her to wear a leash, and has taken her to the balcony to explore. I also let her out of my apartment to explore the hallway sometimes. She likes it, smelling different scents, but as soon as she hears footsteps, she darts right back home, and sits away from the front door until the hallway is quiet again.

Once she gets better at leash walking, I plan to take her to my building's rooftop to explore. But what else can I do to help her be less skittish around strangers in unfamiliar places? My ultimate goal is that she will be less nervous in unfamiliar places and allow strangers to touch her.
You could harness & leash her up, then carry her in your arms around the hallways rather than just turning her loose to roam alone. That would boost her confidence meeting new people, you might not want to let folks pet her yet, just tell them she is very shy. They should understand if they are cat lovers. Take treats, carry her at first and make short trips at the beginning. Keep us updated.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 I've been doing exactly what you said every day. We've only met one neighbour so far, and it was before I could pick Ashton up. She couldn't run away because of the harness, so she just crouched at a corner and watched the neighbour walk by. Afterwards I picked her up and felt her body tremble a bit. But that was the only time.

She's very interested in sniffing the door handles of every apartment, so I let her do that while holding her.

I have to say that I'm enjoying it more than she does. I love that she clings to me and rests her little head on my shoulder :hearthrob:

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
:hellocomputer:Oh I'm so happy to hear how things are going. Sniffing the door handles is a good way to get the scent of people who she will potentially be meeting. Having strangers speak to her while you are holding her will boost her confidience. Don't let them touch her if she doesn't want to be touched. Maybe carry treats for them to offer her if you and they are so inclined. I'm glad she is accepting the harness so well, you can snap on a leash and let her walk (she may just flop down, that's OK too) the halls with you too. The idea is to not force her but just let her enjoy new things with no stress. How about posting some photos of her? Lot of photos would be best. :p Keep having fun and keep updating.:catrub: Give Ashton a hug from Gypsy and me:catlove:

mariegary

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think I have the same kind of situation, okay for the familiar surrounding but when going outside and far from home, (ride with my bike), then almost the same behaviour.

I am always thinking about to bring my cat for an adventure, going out for an outdoor activity or maybe hiking together, but it turns out it was just fantasy to dream about it because of whenever I put the leash then my cat started to imitate like a snail.

Kind of jealous sometimes when I see my neighbour cat seem so nice and okay with the leash, at least the catwalks a bit even though it was a just short period of time until the lazy cat mode kicks in.

I search around the internet something like a friendly/cute container and has anyone thought about to put the cat in the backpack like here? Kind of cute to bring your cat for an adventure.