How To Improve Digestion?

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I wasn't sure if this belonged here or in the health thread but I need a little help with something.

Recently, Fayola has been having bathroom troubles when pooping. She's either constipated or her poops are too soft. Not as firm as before. Same thing is starting to happen to Harvey and Felix. I'm wondering if I should change their diet or introduce something to help aid their digestion and firm up their poops. Any ideas? They seem less interested in their meals lately. I'm currently feeding canned food and a little bit of dry in the evenings.

JamesBrown89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good afternoon, it happened to me that year because we mixed dry food of one brand with wet food of another brand. We went to the vetenar and he told us that it was an inflammation of the intestines and we pricked the cat injections

cz1557

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! try putting pumpkin puree in their diet as well as sources of fiber. You can get wet cans of fiber food from the vet but pumpkin works fantastically as well. If your cat is super constipated you can try to put some laxative into her food- the laxative that only contains the ingredient to make the stool soft- I forgot which one it is but you can look it up!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We put pumpkin in our cats' food, too. Start with a very small amount, though, since some cats need less than others.

Also, our vet loves to remind us that cats' motility tends to lessen with aging. There are apparently drugs for that but I also add egg yolk to the cats' homemade food instead. There's information about egg yolk on this Food Fur Life page about hairballs. How Best to Manage Hairballs

Good luck!

Koda&Jack

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! I feed my kittens a raw diet, so to add fiber I mix in a little bit of Psyllium Husk Powder. Hope this helps!

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Prebiotics added to probiotics made a huge difference in my cats' poops. I use Adored Beast brand, Love Bugs (they also have Healthy Gut products with digestive enzymes added but in my case, I don't see a need for this).

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ha, "Love Bugs"!
I know! I love this name :) but in all seriousness, it’s really good! The only con of it is that my guys won’t eat it with their food, I need to give it separately with a bit of meat baby food. My guys’ poops were small and dry, typical raw fed cats poops, but since I started this they are classic shape and color. I’ve been feeding probiotics before but without prebiotic and they seem to make the difference. Adored Beast uses Larch which apparently seem to work very well with cats.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, everyone! I don't know why I didn't consider probiotics before. Silly me. Pumpkin will be difficult to get them to eat because they hate eating anything they weren't introduced to from birth... :rolleyes: