How to identify fish allergy?

xich

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone!

My partner and I adopted a rehomed kitten (9-10 months now) recently. When we got him, he had an ear infection and was not dewormed. The owners told us his food brands and off handedly mentioned he has a fish allergy (no vet records of this) and sent us on our way.

The puzzling thing is, both the wet and dry kitten food they were feeding him (and we still are) both contain fish oil. Our vet mentioned that the ear infection could be an effect of the allergy, but now he no longer has the infection and has been dewormed, the food he is eating is causing no other problems.

Our current issue is, soon he’ll be switching off kitten food and moving onto adult cat food. But we’re not sure how to identify whether he actually has a fish allergy or not, and as a result not really sure how to pick his adult food.

Any experience on this would be super welcomed!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mingo is allergic to fish. He throws food right back up if it has fish or shellfish in it. He even threw up the fish oil the vet commended for dandruff. Try giving your cat a small can of cat tuna and see what happens. If nothing happens, he's not allergic to fish.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Having fish oil should be ok for him but not fish. Only way to know if he's allergic is trial and error or vet run tests. The owner might of just had an assumption about it. Fish is not good for cats anyways. At least not every day. It is a high allergin so I always check the ingredients that it has no fish.