How to help old cat with bad teeth?

eatrawfish

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So recently my old kitty who is 18-years-young went to the vet after loosing a tooth. The vet checked him out and said he looked FANTASTIC for an 18 year old kitty, except that his teeth look TERRIBLE. Gingavitis, plaque, etc.

I know he has never had his teeth cleaned by a vet, my parents were not well read on cats and so they never bothered, I was too young to know I should do it either. Now the vet agrees with us that he is too old to be put under for the cleaning.

So the question is, is there anything we can do now? My mom is feeling guilty that she never did anything and wonders if even just brushing his teeth would help? Does anyone have any experience with this?

dr. doolittle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he looks fantastic, I would have some bloodwork done. If there is nothing major going on I see nothing wrong with putting him under to do a dental. Not much else is really going to help.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with the Doc here - if the bloodwork is good, then request gas anesthesia which is a lot easier on the system than the injectible type. I would try to get it done if at all possible as bad gums have been definitively linked to early chronic renal failure.

flamingo13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by eatrawfish

So recently my old kitty who is 18-years-young went to the vet after loosing a tooth. The vet checked him out and said he looked FANTASTIC for an 18 year old kitty, except that his teeth look TERRIBLE. Gingavitis, plaque, etc.

I know he has never had his teeth cleaned by a vet, my parents were not well read on cats and so they never bothered, I was too young to know I should do it either. Now the vet agrees with us that he is too old to be put under for the cleaning.

So the question is, is there anything we can do now? My mom is feeling guilty that she never did anything and wonders if even just brushing his teeth would help? Does anyone have any experience with this?
I went through this w/my last cat - (didn't know about brushing, etc.) - but she was fine - did end up losing some teeth naturally, but she ate well, etc. - I would suggest you feed her more wet food (we have a former feral now who had BAD gingivitus and and they pulled all but 4 teeth) - they will swallow some dry - but majority of diet should be wet food. At 18 - I wouldn't put my cat thru such a thing. You do need to check the size of the dry food - I know lots/most? here don't agree w/regular pet food - but that is all I ever fed Brandy and she made it to just shy of 22. Friskies is small as is the Purina Indoor Formula - but (and this is my opinion only) - feed her more wet - 1 can morning/1 can dinnertime - w/the small size dry available 24/7. Good luck.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Someone on another cat forum I am a member of has a 20 year old cat that recently had to have a dental - there was a higher risk of probs, but they used a special anaesthetic (that is used as standard in my vets) to minimise probs. I would get something done, as it can start affecting his life otherwise - imagine having to live with constant toothache?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kandie had a dental just before her 17 th bday ... due to crf she got extra fluids and a round of antibiotics before .. Talk to the vet , get blood work if possible due it kitty will thank you