How to help my cat during roof work?

Moonlight_wolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My parents are getting the roof done and Mia is scared and hiding and it’s gonna take three days for the roof to be finished and I am wondering what I can do to help Mia feel less scared.

Right now I’m laying on the floor talking to her. I know she likes when I talk to her and I actually was able to get her to eat her breakfast by sliding it under the bed, putting my phone next to her with rain sounds and talking to her. But i don’t know if there’s anything else I can do for her. It’s very loud so even loud white noise right next to her doesn’t block it out, and the roof being done even makes the house vibrate. So I understand why she is scared. But does anyone have any other tips on how to help her through this?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If its already started, its probably too late to get medication from the vet. Thats really for severe reactions in any event, which I'm not sure you have. If your basement is finished, you could make her a safe hidey spot down there, but again probably too late for that, she wouldn't be used to it. So I think your doing what you can. Let her hide wherever she is most comfortable, and coax/lure her out (don't pull her out) once they are gone. If its a lot of hours and she won't come right out, you might want to move food, water and a litterbox under the bed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moonlight_wolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah unfortunately the basement isn’t finished so she would probably find her way into all those places that she shouldn’t go. And yeah she’s not having a super severe reaction so I don’t know if medication would be warranted. I do have felaway so maybe I’ll spray that near her.

I just feel bad because she’s probably gonna be hiding at least until these people leave this evening and I can’t lay next to her under the bed the whole day unfortunately.

She is looking a little less scared maybe. Her ears are pointed forward rather than backwards now.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, so your being a good owner and trying to comfort her, doing all you can. Just be mindful not to force anything since a stressed cat can scratch even their buddies and pulling her out would just make things worse anyway.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moonlight_wolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I wouldn’t want to take her out of her safe space. She always goes under that bed if anything scares her. And she will come out once the scary noises end. In fact I think the guys went on a lunch break so she’s been wandering around and asking for attention since the noise stopped 😊

I just wish I could convey to her that she’s in no danger and she need not be scared.