How to help mother cat understand her kitten is deceased..

Meganms401

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately I had to have one of my cat's newborn kittens euthanized because of a fatal birth defect. I was unaware at the time that I should bring the body to her to let her see that it was dead so she could grieve it's loss. It has only been a few hours here at home, but by her behavior I am certain she is worried because she is looking for it. I feel horrible and wish I had been told or known to show her the body. It is breaking my heart for my sweet cat to be be looking for a baby she will never find. How do I comfort her and is there any way to let her know that her baby died?

Note: I took an animal communication workshop in which I learned that animals communicate primarily through telepathy. Some may call me nuts, but this method has always seemed to work with my babies (cats) and so I tried it with her to let her understand. Death is abstract concept therefore extremely hard for me to communicate to her and it is not working. It just seemed to agitate her more so I stopped.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! As long as she is still caring for the other kittens she will come to terms with things, hopefully soonest.

Try some low volume classical harp music - it might help to calm her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meganms401

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. She is doing more looking than checking on the other kittens, though. Is there any way to get her to focus more on them? I fear if I close her in the birthing box (kennel I enclosed with blankets, etc.).. that this will make her frantic and she may hurt them trying to get out.

Also, I played 'Music for Cats' by David Teie while she was in labor and this seemed to help. Do you suggest harp music for some reason specifically, or just any music that is calming for cats?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In her case I was thinking of the harp music since it's sometimes suggested for kittens and she seems very vulnerable right now.

This is a long shot, but what about a ticking clock if you have one that's audible? The sound, even though its fake, mimicks a heartbeat close enough that it might bring her back to the other kittens. Muffle it with a towel.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meganms401

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You are brilliant and helpful. Thank you.