How To Heal Wounds On Neck

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So in a recent thread I discussed that Princess had escaped and gotten infested with fleas, she is now basically flea free besides the lone straggler I brush out occasionally.
Anyway, Princess has a flea allergy which causes her to dig severely at her neck. It can also be stress induced, as she dug the hair from her neck when she gave birth shortly after her adoption as well.
These wounds are more severe than previously, and I have taken her to the vet and she is on an antibiotic cream that keeps it from getting infected and in washing them regularly buttt I can’t keep her from digging them right back open. Because they’re closer to her shoulders a cone wouldn’t help and I’ve tried sweaters but they cover her body more than her neck.
She’s making them bleed and no matter how many creams I use it’s like a child picking at a scab, I’m just wondering what in the world I could do to cover them until they close up??
Any advice is appreciated- and as stated yes she has been to the vet and she on flea preventative from the vet.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a thought. Obviously the wounds are irritating and she claws at them in response. Can the veterinarian prescribe a topical pain killer? That might reduce or even eliminate her response.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That’s a good idea, I’ve tried topical anti itch cream as on humans scabs usually itch. I’ve fashioned a bandage sling over it I’m going to change daily. I’m hoping this can give it time to heal properly.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please call the vet to check if the ointment you plan on using is okay for cats. Also check the product web site to see if there are any comments on using the product on animals.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It’s just hydrocortisone, my vet recommended it and half a cholortab a day.