How To Have Two Cats? For A Single Cat Owner?

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok. I think there is something wrong with me. I have gone through way too many cats. Of course they went to a good home. After a behavior that led to destruction, injury, and / or costly repair from habits that I could not change.
What advice can you give to me 'a person' who has tried everything to make these cats healthy, happy, and loved. I'm down to resident kitty Luna and new cat Tiger.
Black-replaced $1,400 carpeting, only for her to find another carpet peice in a different part of the home to start peeing on. I kept her in the kitchen with a pet gate, until I cleaned everything. Bit me, I had to go to the doctor. Gone
Red-neutured too soon, peeing in every corner of the house, had to throw out $1200 furniture. Recently adopted from the no kill shelter. Gone
White-coveted kitty, acts like a loyal dog, most costly, most up keep, super nice to look at. Jealous. Constipation. still have
Tiger stripped- forest ferrel recently found a home from a outside colony.
How do I need to change? Diahrea. Peed on floor, probley upset I closed the door on him, or ignored him when working out, or needed to pee on an object that was peed on by another animal. still have.
I feel like I am neglecting Tiger by keeping him another room. I'm doing scent swapping and looking for baby gates to put up. I'd have him out in the day, i keep the windows open he will try to escape. He craves attention. It's a job beginning him to get used to being inside around people. I refuse to let him go outside. I think he would benefit from an inside/outside home because he lived outside for so long.
How can I follow the introducting two cat's directions better to make it work?
Should I give up Tiger, just have one cat Luna?
I'm so lost in this. I'm under a lot of stress, work school clinical house keeping.
I've contacted the vet about Tigers diahrea, it's been controlled with pumpkin. I've contacted the shelter about possibly bringing him back, they said bring him any time they will re home him and will not kill him.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh and recently there was a fight between Luna and Tiger and she could of been seriously hurt. Tiger could have been seriously hurt. It's my fault for letting it happen. And I'm feeling that this situation is a ticking time bomb.
Tiger really wants out of the room. I switch them spaces sometimes. Luna gets really mad at me.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes two cats are just too much. It sounds like your life might be more manageable with just one cat. I would return Tiger and try not to get a another second cat. I am sure your Luna will appreciate having you all to her self.

Since Tiger and your other cats have urinated in various spots. You want to use a black light to locate every spot and then an enzyme based cleaner to remove every trace of urine.

Last edited:

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sometimes two cats are just too much. It sounds like your life might be more manageable with just one cat. I would return Tiger and try not to get a another second cat. I am sure your Luna will appreciate having you all to her self.

Since Tiger and your other cats have urinated in various spots. You want to use a black light to locate every spot and then an enzyme based cleaner to remove every trace of urine.
He was marking an object that had been marked previously. No more peeing outside his box. No more diarrhea outside his box. No more strong smelling urine. No more hissing at me when I go through the doorway. He rubs against me. I had a kid over and he hid.
He is chasing the broom when I clean. He loves the cat wands! He loves the food ball dispenser, cat springs, and the ball of yarn. I put a mat under the door, to comfort him when the other cat lays down on the other side.
My other cat is beat up. I have to figure out how to introduce them properly. Yes I read that article. I have not used socks on my hands. Maybe I should try harder. I have put a cat in the carrier inside the cat room. And let the other cat explore.
My resident cat wants to play a lot more, and is a bit clingy for her normal.
I spoke to the shelter. They are full, and told me to call back this week. They have respiratory virus going around, common.
I offered to foster him, as long as they are putting him up for adoption. They have not gotten back to me yet.
The shelter would really stress him out! I would loose all the ground I gained making him a house cat. He should probley be an only cat, with outdoor/indoor access..

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
All I know to tell you is to go back a re-read the introduction articles (and others that are linked below as well), find a place in them that you think would be a good re-starting place and try again. The gates/door separator is essential in this process. But, I think you need to back up farther than that point. Since you have to keep him for now, might as well try to get the introduction process rolling again. It does take time, patience, and attention/care/play time/etc. with both cats. Neither can be neglected, and equal time must be found for both.

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

Do Cats Get Jealous? (and What To Do About It When They Do)

How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, Luna went to the emergency vet yesterday for the cat fight wound from 3 weeks ago. She is on antibiotics, pain medicine, and wearing a collar. Her follow up appointment with the vet is this week.
Tiger went back to the shelter today. I confronted the manager because she said she didn't have room and she had a building full of sick animals. She had room, and she said the only reason she did is because of the sick kittens who didn't make it. I don't get her. She was nasty. I honestly tried to give Tiger a home. No more for me!

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You haven't had the easiest time with cats that's for sure. I would just focus my energy on Luna.
I want to thank everyone for their support! I want you to know I found a cute website: Cute Cat Mondays
I know, I know... one and only Luna... no more.... no no no