How to handle a rescued cat living with me?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Adway

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Adway

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, here is another update... I am trying to introduce the guys to each other.

My male cat Bruce, who is largest of them all, growls very frequently at the newcomers. He has traumatized the newcomers so much that the mama cat does not use the potty, but relieves herself on the bed. Only once, he got close to her and tried to hit her, but there is no physical violence from him otherwise.

It's been 3/4 days since the guys are interacting and there is no sign of growling going down. How long before do you think it will subside? When I introduced Bruce to Anjie (who was 6 weeks old kitten), Bruce had accepted Anjie within a week.

I have read a lot about interactions, but it does not give me clear idea regarding how and when will things settle down step by step.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, who is getting along with who? Bruce and the new kitten? Anjie and the new kitten? Anjie and mama? You mentioned Bruce 'traumatized the newcomers' but then went on to say the guys are interacting with no sign of growling - so, I wasn't sure. How are doing with getting mama comfortable with you? If you feel you have developed a good, trusting relationship with mama, then you can consider doing proper introductions between whoever is not getting along. If you still need more time to work with mama, then wait a while before starting introductions. Either way, that means, at least keeping Bruce and mama separated.

It would seem mama still needs some time in a safe room if you think she is peeing inappropriately because of Bruce. If she seems to be doing well otherwise, it probably isn't a health issue but be on the lookout for other signs of illness, just in case. Her peeing issue could be from an infection.

If mama and Bruce are the only ones not getting along, then the other cats should be able to spend some time with each of these two, by site swapping them in mama's safe room and the rest of the house, where I assume Bruce is allowed to roam freely. Here is the TCS article on Introductions that you can read through so you can start to develop a plan that will work for you.
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – Cat Articles

Adway

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello FeebysOwner FeebysOwner , I meant, growling is not going down.

Bruce is growling at mama cat and kitten.

Anjie is already friendly with mama cat and ok with the kitten.

Mama cat is ok with me, allows me to scratch her head and back. The kitten is shy, but is alright with coming in open with me.

I am planning to keep Bruce and newcomers away at least for a week more. The guy is being territorial.

As you suggested, I will let Anjie mix with newcomers. May be it will help Bruce to accept them.

Adway

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another update....

The mama cat And I went to Vet today. The poor thing has ovarian cysts. It was really causing her heat cycle to go haywire.

We have got her sprayed today - by removing ovaries. The doc is saying, she will now grow rapidly and she will not be skinny for long. Yay!