How to guide a cat on a leash

evd98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Over the past few months I have started harness/leash training my three year old cat. She was definitely nervous at first but we have gotten super comfortable hanging out in the backyard and she's starting to get interested in checking out the front yard too. I read a few articles about leash training before we started and they all said to let the cat lead, which made perfect sense. For around the house exploration. However, I'm hoping to be able to bring her to the park near my house soon. What is the best way to do this? Should I start trying to lead her? And how do I do that? She's definitely used to being in charge of where we go, and I'm not sure she'd be ready for me to show her where we need to go, and that she won't want to explore our neighbors' yards.
Thanks for the help!

maddies momma

TCS member, Crazy Cat Lady!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would reccomend bringing her to the park in a crate or pet stroller and then let her out when u get there. Otherwise you might never make it to the park. I'm sure others can advise better on the training part but I would reccomend walking her when she is slightly hungry and using kibble and treats to guide her.

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there, parks are often frequented by people walking dogs and it's been my experience that they don't tend to be great about holding on to the lead tightly. Personally, I'd do some research and find a place that people with dogs don't frequent. 

marianc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would like to walk my cat. I live in an apt. complex. I was thinking of walking her at night when few people and dogs are around. I'm going to get her a harness. I'm wondering what I'm going to do if another cat approaches us or my cat Tasha gets scared of something else. Can I lift her with the loop on the back of the harness without her scratching up my arms?

Marian

Edited to add: There's an article on this subject on this site. I tried to leave the url but it wasn't allowed.

Last edited:

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi marianc, welcome to the site. When I first joined I couldn't leave urls either, it's to stop spammers. It should only be set for your first post, if you continue to have problems leave a message in the help section and someone will fix it up for you.

Harness and Leash Training for Cats
Cats on a Leash?

We started leash training one of our cats within the building, the one time she ventured outside she was too afraid and bolted straight back in. At the moment she's happy smelling the scents and hearing the noises coming from the other apartments but if she wants to go outside I'd try playing with her just outside the door, this way she knows she can dart into safety if she starts to become stressed. I'd gradually start giving her more reign when she gives an indication that she's comfortable with that.

As for lifting a panicked cat up by the harness, I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you, I would assume it depends on the harness you use. For example, I've heard that the "Come with me kitty" harness is designed to loosen around the cat's neck if the cat panics.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For cats being led by you, its a bit of a challenge. My cats will let me lead in so much as I click my tongue and they come up to me (its the sound we use inside for treats and food). I've heard of people training cats to walk where they want to by using a cat teaser toy to have the cat follow it.

I wouldn't take a cat to a park personally. Too many off leash dogs that could cause problems.

As for picking a cat up by the harness, if a cat is frightened/angry when out, it is hard to get them under control. If you hold the cat's harness this may make it easier for them to squirm free. Carrot did this to me once. Now if he starts getting anxious, I pick him up immediately or kneel down next to him and hold him to the ground (if he's getting aggressive to the point where he might hurt me if I picked him up).

marianc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, moorspede and newyork1303.

I can tell from this discussion that when people talk about walking a cat, they mean something entirely different from walking a dog. It seems to be more of like "strolling with a cat." I don't have the space or privacy to stroll with Tasha.

Here's something I've been thinking about. I have a super-walker. I was thinking of eventually -- months down the road -- walking Tasha (5-yr-old adopted, w/ me 6 months) by placing her in a carrier like this and securing the carrier to the walker. That way she could see more of the world. I like to walk at night. Until March of last year, except for grieving periods, I had small poodles for decades. I miss walking a pet. I know that I would need to ease her into it. I only want to do this if Tasha would enjoy it and grow from it.

"What greater gift than the love of a cat." Charles Dickens